Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: W2k Screen Resolution Problem  (Read 6121 times)

Brewman

W2k Screen Resolution Problem
« on: February 27, 2005, 02:54:32 PM »
I've just upgraded my Toshiba 4000CDT from Windows 98 to Windows 2000, service pack 4. Display is OK on 800x600 but upping it to 1024x768 just makes the display larger so that I have to scroll to see the extremities (like the task bar). I've got a Chips& Technologies (now Asiliant) 65555 adapter. I've upgraded the BIOS to 8.2, downloaded the W2k drivers from Asiliant but nothing will persuade the display to fit on the screen. I need the higher resolution to run my business accounts so help please - there could even be a free beer in it for the right advice!  :P

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: W2k Screen Resolution Problem
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 03:33:27 PM »
Have you tried updating your video card drivers with the latest ones? (video card manufacturer's website) ... Also, have you tried running a Windows Update by going to http://www.microsoft.com  ?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Brewman

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2005, 12:25:53 AM »
Yep, downloaded the Asiliant W2k Drivers for the 65555 (although it also refers to 69030), release 2.5.1c and installed them.
Is it something to do with LCD vs CRT? The new drivers all have refresh rates which I thought was irrelevant for an LCD screen. Also, I've lost the Toshiba hardware setup(HWSETUP) control panel extension. The usual helpful Microsoft error - "an error occurred while Windows was working with the Control Panel file C:\WINDOWS\system32\HWSETUP.CPL". This is inspite of downloading the latest version of this file. :-/

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 01:21:32 AM »
    Brewman.....Have you tried adjusting your display using the monitor controls ? Reduce the width and the height when in the 1024 x 768 size ........that should do it for you .

Let us know
    dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 28, 2005, 01:21:44 AM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Brewman

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 03:34:55 PM »
    Hi dl65 - I'm using a Toshiba laptop which as far as I know doesn't have any monitor controls - unless they are in the Hardware Setup utiility which also doesn't work since I loaded W2k. :-/

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 03:48:21 PM »
    ...I'm using a Toshiba laptop which as far as I know doesn't have any monitor controls - unless they are in the Hardware Setup utiility which also doesn't work since I loaded W2k...

You've done everything I would have done.  You didn't specifically say the Toshiba was a laptop, but I knew.  I've had and worked on many laptops.  There are no "monitor controls" on a laptop.
    Drivers appear to be where you said:  http://www.asiliant.com/driver.htm

Notebook displays do have what is called "Native Resolution" which I thought meant the sharpest picture for that resolution.