Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problems with windows starting and detecting hard drive.  (Read 2719 times)

the1mst562

Topic Starter

Starter

problems with windows starting and detecting hard drive.
    « on: May 09, 2008, 08:12:21 PM »
    I am having multiple problems. First I connected the montherboard and everything on it and booted it and it could not install windows XP, it said can't read hard drive. So I installed the hard drive on to another computer and install windows that way, and even install a couple games. Everything worked great. Then I take the hard drive and put it back into the Foxconn montherboard 661FX7MJ and then I started getting problems again. When I can get it to start windows and then tries to install the new device drivers, when I restart to install it doesn't start windows anymore and have to try couple times again to get it to start. Then I have the same problem and it tries to install drivers. Sometimes it doesn't read the hard drive at all. What should I do? I feel I have tried it all. I put windows XP CD and boot off that but it seems to get issues with that also.

Could it be something wrong with the montherboard? (I know its not the hard drive, since I can use it on other computers, I have tried other cd drives, the monther board is new so I'm not sure if its the motherboard. HELP PLZ!! I AM STRESSED OUT :(

homer

Expert
      Re: problems with windows starting and detecting hard drive.
      « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:27:27 PM »
      first off, you cannot install windows on one machine then pop out the harddrive and plug it in another machine and expect it to work. you need to install windows on the machine you intend to use it on. but seeing as how you were able to install windows in another comp using the same harddrive, that kind of negates the harddrive as being the problem. when you first tried to install windows on your comp, did you hook the harddrive up correctly? also, the make/model of your harddrive would be nice.

saf-beagle

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:07:51 AM »
        This is the the mobo you're speaking about:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?id=en-us0000162

Click on the pic to enlarge.

Thats a 775 socket. You're using a P4. I have no clue which hard drive type, size or manufacturer you are using. That would be helpful to know.

If you're using a ATA hard drive. First, you will need to check the jumper settings on your hard drive. The jumper should be set to "master" and not "cable select" or "slave" ( if the jumper was set to slave it would work as a slave and you would not be able to start windows ). You will need to connect your IDE cable to the white socket connection on the mobo. Also check your cable connection itself, IDE cables have the connection for the mobo on one end, in the middle is "slave" and on the other end, "master". "Master" should be inserted into your hard drive.

Based on the info you've provided thats the most I advice can give you.

~edit~ Changed "Obvious to if" Didn't see the Black Sata connections on the pic. Thanks Homer
        « Last Edit: May 10, 2008, 03:58:25 AM by saf-beagle »
        " Cognition and speech are directly related to intelligence, lying and fantasy"- S.F.

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:59:32 AM »
          Viewing the pic it's obvious you're using a ATA hard drive.

it is not obvious, his motherboard has two SATA ports. his harddrive could be SATA or ATA.

the1mst562

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 06:52:34 AM »
            The hard drive is WD Caviar SE 160 GB EIDE.
            3.2 P4 processor
            1.2gb ram

I have to go to work right now, when I come back I'll check the cables and make sure everything is exactly like you advised. Thanks for the help so far.

the1mst562

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 08:47:04 PM »
              Sorry for the late response. I checked the cables and even tried switching the cd rom cables with HD and that seemed to work. It was loaded windows for like 10 minutes and then once it loaded it looked like it was working. Installed drivers and rebooted and it was working. Then just when I thought it was working I installed a few more updates and once it rebooted, I got the same problem; windows will be on the Windows XP loading screen and when it should start it would restart the computer. Once I put the HD into another computer, it will load it. It seems to be my motherboard. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

skeety

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 09:06:29 PM »
              Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I'm running into the same problem.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2008, 08:14:53 AM »
              Did you ever get this issue resolved?  I'm running into the same problem.

Please start your own Topic with all the important info included and someone will be along shortly to assist...

And Welcome Aboard !
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "