Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Disk Managment  (Read 1990 times)

N4646W

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Disk Managment
    « on: August 03, 2008, 12:16:34 PM »
    Just got my main system up and running after a couple of weeks of debugging hardware.  Started to add my HD's  and got to one that I could not access.  Windows see the drive, but cannot access it.   It's a slave should have been no problem as it was accessable before.  Went to Administrative tools, computer management, and Disk Management was not accessable, notice said  "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.".  All other services are available in Admin Tools.

Have disabled all the drives with the exception of "C" (RAID 1) and Computer Management still times out.  This is a new one on me, and have no idea what to look for.  Have logged in on both Admin and user accounts, also in Safe Mode.  Can anyone offer any help?
    « Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:33:27 PM by N4646W »

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Disk Managment
    « Reply #1 on: August 03, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
    How is this drive connected ? ?
    Did it have issues prior to this ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

N4646W

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Disk Managment
      « Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:19 AM »
      The drive was connected to an IDE buss as a slave.  It had no prior issues.  My C drive is or was RAID 1 on SATA.  The unit has 7 storage drives on IDE (1 pair is RAID 1 for backup) and 2 on SATA plus the RAID 1 on Sata. 

I gave up and wiped the "C" drives and am presently using a single drive on SATA.  This is a back up I keep for emergencies and have used it to clone my C drives.  At present all is working very well.  Will Ghost it back to my RAID drive tomorrow.

The "C" drives started to lose all programs, and Avast and AVG showed no viruses.  Boot scan with Avast was clean also.  What ever it was, it's gone now, just wish I knew what it was.  Frustrating to have something break, and not know what caused it.