Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista will not allow me to install Windows XP! Why? HELP! BB is watching!  (Read 2625 times)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Woo Woo
    Hi all...

My post on the software forum lead me to try to install XP Pro on my new laptop, deleting Vista and changing the partitions slightly.

Upon inserting the XP disk... Vista warnings come up and tell me, "Sorry! The version you are trying to install is older than your current version! Check the Web for solutions!"

Upon connecting to the web, windows tells me, of course, that no solutions are available.

So... I need to wipe this %$^% off my drive! It annoys me! Vista has four or five stages for every thing you want to do... XP has one. YES or NO. Simple!

How do I clear an entire drive in DOS and create partitions?? I'm hoping there is a link I can go to for instructions? I really want to start afresh with a clean laptop, as there is so much crap on the new laptop I do not want. 61 processes were running at first log on!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Are you booting from the Windows XP CD?

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
    • Woo Woo
      Yes, well trying to.

Is this the way to go?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Experience: Guru
      It should be as simple as booting from the CD and formatting the disk. (you will loose all current files)

Google

Mentor

• Experience: Experienced
        It should be as simple as booting from the CD and formatting the disk. (you will loose all current files)

WEll, I guess it's not ;D ;D

Dias de verano

Quote from: Chad
        Upon inserting the XP disk... Vista warnings come up and tell me, "Sorry! The version you are trying to install is older than your current version! Check the Web for solutions!"

Quote from: Carbon Dudeoxide
        Are you booting from the Windows XP CD?

Quote from: Chad
        Yes, well trying to.

Something doesn't add up here. If you are booting from the CD, having set the BIOS accordingly, you would not be getting Vista warning messages. You get those if you are running Vista, and try to run the CD from that OS (which won't work, because Vista won't let you do a 'downgrade' as you have found.)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
        • Woo Woo
          Ah, Ok. I entered BIOS and changed BOOT location to cd. NOW it's working...

But new problem... I get an error message once it starts to load XP... is this a BIOS setup issue?

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer.

Make sure your hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related configuration is correct.

Setup cannot continue."

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          • Experience: Beginner
          No need to double Post...
          See your Other Topic  for replies.

Topic Closed.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator