Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DELL DIMENSION 5000 PROBLEM  (Read 2719 times)

stewest2007

Topic Starter

Starter

DELL DIMENSION 5000 PROBLEM
    « on: August 15, 2008, 04:01:34 AM »
    Hi,

I recently looked at my friends Dell Dimension 5000 Desktop computer as he was having a problem using all his USB ports. He only had 2 ports working which allowed his Keyboard and Mouse to working as these are both USB and not PS2 connections.

I tried the normal things like to run a full AVG virus scan, a AD-Aware scan and i also ran smartfruadfix which didn't pick up any viruses. I also looked in device manager and there were no yellow exclamation marks and everything seemed to look ok.

As a quick solution i installed a new USB 2.0 internal PCI card and run the driver/software CD which installed ok but it didn't recognise any of the USB devices that i plugged in.

I then went on a help forum and it said to go to USB in device manager and uninstall all of the USB devices until the moue and keyboard stopped working and then restart the machine and Windows XP should detect new hardware. I did this and it does detect new deevices but i cannot use the mouse and keyboard. NOW IM STUCK!

I then took the computer apart and took out the hard disk drive with the intention of setting it as a slave and backing up on another computer. My problem now is that the hard drive is a SATA and I dont have a SATA drive in my computer so NOW IM STUCK!

Any help would majorly be of help.

The only thing i can think of is to use a portable version of XP to backup his stuff etc etc...

PLEASE HELP smile.gif