Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Please Check Signal Cable  (Read 5059 times)

l8rg8r

Please Check Signal Cable
« on: March 01, 2005, 10:43:36 AM »
I found something similar in archives from Nov. '04, but no follow-up beyond what I have already done.  I was given a P III 450 MHz tower that was supposed to be working.  When I hook it up and turn it on, all I get is, "PLease Check Signal Cable" and a long, quiet beep, over and over.  I have tried it on other monitors and get the same results.  I have swapped out the video card - no change.  

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Please Check Signal Cable
    « Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 12:33:44 PM »
    l8rg8r.......Several things ......Is it possible to check with whoever gave you the pc and confirm it was working ok ?........ I would open up the case and remove any cards that are installed and reseat them .....and remove and reseat the sticks of Ram as well .........do you have any idea what kind of bios is in that pc ......because it would help to narrow down the beep code your hearing ......It sounds like the beep code is either for the video or the Ram ..........Have you tried the monitor your trying to use on another pc ( just to confirm it's ok ) and the keyboard and mouse as well. If you have access to another pc , I would test the hard drive as well .........then that pretty much narrows it down to either the motherboard , the power supply .  When you attempt to power it up ( with the case off ) .........is the cooling fan running in the power supply and is the cooling fan running on the cpu ? Is there an led on the motherboard and does it light .......Do any of the leds on the front of the case flash or come on .......Does the led in either the hard drive , floppy disc drive or the cd flash at all when you try to power it up .

Let us know

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: March 01, 2005, 12:35:01 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

l8rg8r

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 02:01:44 PM »
    The person I got it from said is was working.

Award BIOS.

I have removed and reseated all cards and RAM.

The power supply fan and CPU fan are both working.

I find no LED on the motherboard.

The green "power-on" light lights when "on" button is pressed, (but switch will not turn it off).  

The motherboard is an ASUS, but have been unable to find model number so far.

The monitor works with other computers and I have tried known good monitors on this tower.

The long, repeated single beep code does not start until a short time after computer is turned on.

I think I have done everything on your list so far.

l8rg8r

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 02:07:24 PM »
    Also, I just realized am not getting the power-on beep code at start-up and I have not pulled the hard drive and tested it yet.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 03:49:15 PM »
    Any beep other than 1 single beep is some kind of hardware problem.  It's not the hard drive.
    http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm