Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cooling Solution BTX case  (Read 3034 times)

ronw

Topic Starter

Starter

Cooling Solution BTX case
    « on: August 06, 2008, 12:22:08 PM »
    I have a Gateway 700GR computer that uses the BTX case and the cooling on it is sucky since its getting older. Long as I keep the heatsink cleaned out of dust and new thermal paste every once in a while it stays pretty cool but no typical 775 socket cooler will work because of the motherboard design which is Intel South Lake P4 Motherboard R0 it looks like this
    http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/Intel2/102129/nv.jpg (i have digital pictures of the inside thats a little more closer if someone needs a better idea)

It's constantly running hot which is a intel usual I know but it does stay around 130F if its cleaned out, dust free, new paste and everything but doesnt stay that way long.

What about trashing the current motherboard and keeping the parts, cpu, ram, video card? Ive got a ICT-D925R-GP 775 Cooler but I need to find a board that it matches

homer

Expert
      Re: Cooling Solution BTX case
      « Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 03:47:44 PM »
      give us the specs of all the parts you wish to use with this motherboard and we will try to find a motherboard that will support it all.

ronw

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 03:56:59 PM »
        product info of the current computer
        http://assets.gateway.com/s/PC/R/3726/3726cl16.shtml
        http://assets.gateway.com/s/PC/R/3726/3726sp27.shtml

Just based on cooling issues I was thinking about just transfering out the drives, ram, video card, and processor out to a new motherboard where the ICT-D925R or similar 775 cooler will fit and onboard sound. I like the computer itself for the speed its pretty good seems to do just as well as a Core Duo does so any motherboard where these parts will fit

homer

Expert
          « Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 04:00:57 PM »
          if you only want to get a new motherboard because of cooling issues, have you thought about simply carving some holes and mounting some case fans on your comp?

ronw

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:36:21 PM »
            No room that I can tell I dont think another fan would help since the processor is actually covered by a black plastic case and another case on top of that the fan is connected to this airflow plastic piece that channels the air down to the chip its either not blowing hard enough or just not enough air. At full speed it spins at 2490 rpms when the proc is at 160F its really noisy. Wonder if a fan would work directly on top of the current heatsink..needs to be about 4 inches wide and push as much air as the current one does im guessing

This is what it looks like compared to a typical 775 cooler