Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: games damage  (Read 4477 times)

john jeffrey

games damage
« on: March 01, 2005, 02:27:57 PM »
Hi, im new to this computer thing, i wonder if you can enlighten me? my daughter has just bought the sims2 it plays ok on my computer , my question is do these games cause any damage or problems on the computer? the reason i am asking is when she is finished playing games it seems to be running slower. Ive banned her from this computer until i find out one way or another, all the so called experts say yes and no, its all very confusing.  thanks

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: games damage
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 04:22:19 PM »
Can you give me your system specs. please? I am interested in your hard disk capacity, RAM, operating system, and in your video card...

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Sean

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 08:24:34 PM »
Damage to the computer, probably not. Take up space on your hard drive, and use resources yes. Your computer might be running slower because it doesnt meet certain requirements. Same thing being asked..../\ /\ /\

john jeffrey

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 01:05:28 PM »
sorry about this, how do i find that out?please stick with me im slowly picking things up. cheers

Corrosive

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 01:19:05 PM »
If you go to Start > Run > type "dxdiag" without the quotes you'll get loads of info about your machine. You simply check these against the specifications on the back of the box.

Even if these specs match or ar bettered by your machine, you'll still find the PC will run slower - that's just life, get on with it. It is certainly not, however, doing any significant physical damage to the PC itself (at least, it won't do anything noticable before your PC goes beyond obsolete)

My only concern is with your kids' taste in games... ;D
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 01:21:16 PM by Corrosive »

john jeffrey

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 03:07:49 PM »
Hi, thanks again. just had a look see if this makes any sense, xp home(5.1 build 2600)xp2400+mmx 3d now 2.0ghz. 224 mb ram memory directx 9.0.  the box reads_ xp, processor 800mhz, 256mb ram, hard drive3.5gb, sound card direct9.0. do you think this would be ok? she has other games but this looks like it needsmore to play it. thanks again

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 03:29:06 PM »
Well.... It sounds like you need more RAM... The box says 256 MB is required, but 384 will perform better... Also, your processor is a little on the slow side, but that may not make much of a difference at this time... Also, your hard disk concerns me... 3.5 GB is not much AT ALL... I'm hoping that you made a typo actually... Are you sure that your hard disk only has 3.5 GB available?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Corrosive

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »
An MMX processor? Hmm... you know, I work in quite a large computer shop. Maybe come visit me ;D