Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Video Card Problems (No Signal)  (Read 3829 times)

mdschm2

Topic Starter

Rookie

Video Card Problems (No Signal)
    « on: August 11, 2008, 07:21:54 AM »
    I posted earlier about this but I feel the description of my problem was sub-par. So I'll give it another go. A few weeks ago, I turned on my computer, which started up fine, but the monitor wasn't receiving a signal (I got the "No Signal" message on the screen, and then the monitor went to sleep). So, I unplugged the DVI cable from the computer, and I unplugged the power to the monitor, waited a few minutes, plugged everything back in, and it worked fine.

About a week ago, it did the exact same thing again, except this time, unplugging the cables did nothing. I took out the video card (GeForce 7500LE), blew the dust out of the fan, and reseated it. Still, same problem. To make sure the computer was working fine, I used the TV-Out port (on the motherboard) and connected the computer to the TV. Everything looked fine, it booted into Windows XP and everything.

So, I suspected the card was shot. I bought a new e-GeForce 8600GT (EVGA) and popped it in. Still, same issue, no signal to the monitor. I made sure I deleted all the old drivers before trying to install the new ones, but still nothing. Windows even recognized that new hardware was installed, so I don't think the PCI-E port is busted. I reseated the RAM, I reset the CMOS, everything. After messing with it, Windows started acting funny, and I was desperate, so I backed everything up, wiped the hard drive and reinstalled windows. Neither video card works, even with the new windows install.

I'm at a loss for how to fix this. I don't have onboard video on the motherboard (unless that S-Video TV-out port counts) and I didn't see any option in BIOS to disable it. I don't get any system beeps at post. It's a 32bit machine.

I should also mention that I tried the monitor on a different machine, and it works fine. I also tried a different monitor on the broken machine, and it did the same thing.

Any help would be ENORMOUSLY appreciated.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Video Card Problems (No Signal)
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:33:40 AM »
    So you're currently using Windows XP with your TV?

What I would do first is go to Device Manager and look for any Yellow Exclamation Marks or Question Marks.

Crafty

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »
    Did you try a different Dvi cable. You mentioned you were able to get it going again at first, by unplugging and then replugging this cable in. This could point to the cable been faulty.

mdschm2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 03:32:48 PM »
      What I would do first is go to Device Manager and look for any Yellow Exclamation Marks or Question Marks.

I went into the Device Manager before I uninstalled Windows, and there was a Yellow Question mark next to an unidentified Display Adapter. I let Windows look for drivers (this is when the old card was installed) and it found drivers for a GeForce 6500LE (which I assume are the latest available drivers for the 7500). I even tried to download the newest drivers from the nVidia website. Long story short, the exclamation point went away, but that didn't fix anything.

Just a quick clarification: SHOULD the video card have worked right away, without having to install drivers?

Did you try a different Dvi cable. You mentioned you were able to get it going again at first, by unplugging and then replugging this cable in. This could point to the cable been faulty.

I used the same cable with a VGA adapter and tested it with my laptop and it worked fine, so I don't believe it's the cable.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 10:16:17 PM »
      Just a quick clarification: SHOULD the video card have worked right away, without having to install drivers?
      From my experience, sometimes.

I would go to the Video Card Manufacturers website and re-download and re-install the drivers.

Crafty

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
      There is a chance that both these cards are faulty, can you try these cards in another computer? Can you also test another cable so we can rule that out.