Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can I put HD from XP into a new Vista computer?  (Read 2535 times)

meajsmith

Topic Starter

Starter

Can I put HD from XP into a new Vista computer?
    « on: August 16, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »
    Is it possible to intall the HD from my old computer, with XP, into a new computer that will have Vista in it? I've been told that the old data won't be recognized, that the old HD isn't compatible....HELP???!!!

stevejohnson1958

Re: Can I put HD from XP into a new Vista computer?
    « Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 08:17:40 AM »
    That depends...

Are you just transferring the HD as a storage drive...or are you trying to transfer files?  Vista should recognize the drive...as well as the files, but if you're looking at using programs...Vista may not be able to run them.

Here's a good read for ya:

Transfer files and settings from another computer

meajsmith

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 08:24:13 AM »
      Actually, I'd like to get my old data off of the old HD; now, if I could run things off it, as well, that would be good, too.
      But primarily, this is a priority to get my data off the old HD. Mostly pix.
      I called the GEEK Squad, and someone there told me that if I had an EIDE HD, that I wouldn't be able to retrieve any of the old data off it, since the new computers now all have the SATA drives - incompatible for retrieval. But I would be able to use it once I reformatted it for Vista. Does that mke any sense???

xavier

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:24 AM »
      I dont know if my post will help but if you want you can transfer files ect. by using a software called Acronis

xavier

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2008, 08:32:31 AM »
      Acronis true image 8

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2008, 08:33:15 AM »
      The guy at Geek Squad has an extra hole in his head, my friend.

There are several ways around your problem.  While the programs on the drive may not be compatible with Vista...there are a couple of things you can do.  One of them would be to follow the advice from my previous link.

The others would be to buy an SATA to IDE connector so you can use the drive internally...being able to view files, data, photos, documents, pictures, etc., etc.  That is...if you have an additional connector...and room for the drive itself.  Another option would be to connect the drive via an external USB case...for under $40.  You have an external drive, as well as access to your data.

meajsmith

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2008, 08:39:47 AM »
        OK, let's see if I have this right......I can buy the new Vista computer, take my old HD out of the old XP machine, install it in the new machine (along with an adaptor connector, EIDE -to-SATA), and, voila! I have an additional HD to run alongside the Vista HD? And that would work if there's room in the new Vista case? If not, then buy a case for my old HD, and run a cable to my new machine, also using an adaptor to hook it up?

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »
        Option one:  Transfer files and settings from another computer

Option two:  Use an SATA to IDE connector to connect your drive internally.

Option three:  Purchase an external USB hard drive case to mount the XP HD in for use as an external drive.

Someone at the computer store (where you decide to purchase your Vista machine) should be able to follow those three options I have given you.

All of them should work.  However, please remember...these options only apply to specific files, documents, etc., etc.  For program compatibility...you should visit the programs manufacturer for updated software...okay?

I hope this helps, my friend.

meajsmith

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 08:48:08 AM »
          Many thanks! Take care....

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 08:52:39 AM »
          You're welcome...

Please keep us posted and let us know what you decide to do.  This way...anyone having the same problem as you will know what to do and if it did/didn't work for you...okay?

All the best!

Steve