Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Both CD and DVD drives do not work?  (Read 6521 times)

John G

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Both CD and DVD drives do not work?
    « on: August 14, 2008, 07:24:10 AM »
    Hardware diagnostics say both are fine. But device manager shows yellow caution. I have uninstalled and restarted but it does not fix the problem! This all started a couple of days ago when I let HP into my computer to debug my new deskjet printer.
    Anyone out there have anyt suggestions.
    Thanks

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Both CD and DVD drives do not work?
    « Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 07:30:23 AM »
    Try unplugging the printer's Power, wait about 20 seconds, and then replug it.
    Also, remove it from your computer while you do this.

Does the yellow caution still appear?

John G

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2008, 07:36:43 AM »
      Also My drives do not show up in the my computer window.
      I am running a dell desktop with XP Pro. & Office Pro
      I have restored to am earlier point and it solved my lock up problems and slow operating but not the drive issue?
      I know some similar posts have been sent but I have tried all of the suggestions except the ATA channel stuff.  I will try that when I get home the problems I am having are with my home office computer.
      Thanks

John G

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 07:39:06 AM »
        I have tried turniung off and on. Switch and plug.

John G

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 07:41:57 AM »
          The printer is set up on my ethernet. HP could not install it on my computer they want me to reinstall my OS! I am concerned about that because some of my files were not backed up so I am hesitant to do this?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »
          Yes, make that a last resort. Don't reinstall your Operating System just yet.

However, what Operating System are you running on and do you have the Windows CD for that OS?

Also, when you go to Device Manager, exactly what has a Yellow Question/Exclamation mark next to it?

What did you do before the problem? (downloads, installs, hardware changes, ect...)

John G

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »
            EX Pro   Yes I have the factory disks.
            I bought a hp deskjet 7500 and installed it. I had a few fatal errors called hp and they determined the CD had a bad file and to download the driver package from the site. They also had me turn off all my symantic programs and firewalls. These are also not responding now. I do not know if they deleted them or what. Download of software from HP.com complete.I did that and the L2 tech remotely installed it. It worked fine. Turn computer off. Next day turn on and I lost the printer. Reboot and I lost the drives E: D:. They tech went through my computer 2 separate days and could not fix the printer install. It is now working on my Ethernet and my lap top. But I can not install the printer on my desktop..
            I do not know much about comp. I used the Dell manual and ran the hardware diagnostics and everthing checked out fine. including the drives. I am so lost.
            This is my business computer for home and it is really hurting me to have to recreate all my docs because I cannot burn disks or read them. I also cannot go on line because the semantic is missing and I cannot reinstall because the disk won't run. I am going to try to install the AVG tonight and see what happens.
            Are my problems symptomatic of a virus?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 08:13:20 AM »
            I am going to try to install the AVG tonight and see what happens.
            Instead of doing that, I suggest you do this. It will give us a better chance of finding anything wrong (virus-wise or software-wise):
            http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,46313.0.html

So. You got a printer, tried to install but failed.
            You turned off symantec and firewalls. <-- not responding anymore
            Downloaded software from HP. What software?
            Turn on, lost printer and E:/ D:/.  What were they?

Do you have the Windows CD (with Microsoft written all over it)? Don't use the other discs.

Also, Do you have access to another computer?

Sorry for all these questions but it will help us diagnose your problem.  ;) ;)