Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Novice operator  (Read 2976 times)

mollymoo

Novice operator
« on: March 04, 2005, 12:28:21 AM »
I have recently removed my Cd burner from my old computer as I have purchased a new one. Since removing the cd burner I am unable to run my ol computer I think I have the cables in the wrong place but am unsure.

It is an old computer with a hard drive floppy drive and a cd reader. can anyone help as I have promised my son that he can have my old computer but if it don't work he doesn't want it. I really don't want to spend any money on getting someone to fix it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Mollymoo

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: Novice operator
    « Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 12:37:36 AM »
    mollymoo..."I have recently removed my Cd burner from my old computer as I have purchased a new one." Do you mean you removed the burner from your old pc and installed it in your new computer ? Or do you mean you removed the old burner because you purchased a new burner ? .... You say you think the cables are in the wrong place , did you remove all the cables from the old pc ? . Would I be correct in saying that the old pc currently has 1 hard drive and 1 cd-rom still in it ?

please let us know

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

mollymoo

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 08:26:53 PM »
    Yes I put the cd burner in my new computer. and yes I only have a hard drive and cd reader in my old computer. :o

nellyred

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 09:43:31 PM »
    I need some clarity about his? Do you have two computers that are now experiencing problems or is just the old one not functioning because you removed the burner. If you are having problems with the older one. the cables are to be wired like so:
    -the hard drive should be on the ide primary ribbon cable. there will usually be a marking next to the controllers indicating which controller it is. Something like IDE1 or IDE2. I would plug the cd-rom into the IDE2 controller cable. Both of these drives will need to be set for master. In a regular computer you have 2 IDE controllers (Primary and secondary IDE). These controllers are just the physical connection to the motherboard. On each ribbon cable there is probably two different connectors. One is the master and one is the slave. Since you only have a hard drive and a cdrom drive then you should have them wired as both masters, on there own ide cable. If you didn't unplug  the hard drive in this process i would say leave it alone. But make sure the cd-rom is the secondary master. Let me know if anything helped. NEIL

mollymoo

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 10:22:06 PM »
     ::)thanks neil all sorted.