Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HD3650?  (Read 2410 times)

mcxeb52!

HD3650?
« on: August 08, 2008, 05:20:27 PM »
What PSU wattage does the HD3650 require? Sapphire says 300W minimum and Diamond says otherwise on its site. How about the iceQ turbo HIS version? Should I get the GDDR3 version?

-----------

I have a 8500GT right now that my dad gave me a long while ago and it runs fine. I see that HD3650 gives better performance compared to 8500GT and if that's the case, I'll go buy it. 8600GT and higher cards require a PSU higher than 300W and I don't want to buy a new PSU now, regardless of how cheap it is.

-----------

Age of Empires, NBA Live08, Company of Heroes are games I play and the higher end geforce cards are more expensive than I'm willing to spend and I care about playing at high resolution because I have a 22 inch monitor. See below for rest of computer specs. Thanks!

« Last Edit: August 08, 2008, 05:39:57 PM by mcxeb52! »

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: HD3650?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 12:15:25 PM »
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mcxeb52!

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 07:13:12 PM »
the PSU calculator said I should be ok. It's an estimate, but given Sapphire's site says 300W PSU required, and I trust Compaq to have given me a quality 300W PSU, I can go on. I know I probably should get a higher watt PSU, I would like to get the card first.

Now, my question is.... is the HD3650 a decent card? (doesn't have to be best card) or should I stick to upgrading with NVidia cards as nVidia cards now have physX capabilities? And is it worth the extra $$ to get the IceQ that HIS uses on some of its cards?

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 03:55:34 PM »
I would invest in a new PSU ( 500W or better ) for the future upgrades and start saving up for an 8800GTS Vid card...

But that's just me...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

mcxeb52!

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 12:19:08 AM »
8800GTS is a nice card but I feel it uses up quite a lot of power, especially when playing video games, although I'm not playing games with high recommended min requirements and I don't play every day for a lot of hours like some of the other guys do. HD3650 seems to be the the DDR3 version of 8500GT (without any overclocking and more stream processors). But I'd miss out on physX capabilities which Age of Empires can use.

I just want respectable performance without having a electricity guzzler in my computer, even when I am not playing video games ;D

I have an AMD64 athlon single core processor and I read that higher end graphics card not good with single core processors because single core processors not fast enough to keep up with the speed of the graphics card.

Also, I have a Compaq SR1630NX computer that I upgraded as you see my sig info and I am wondering if 8800GTS can fit into my computer comfortably, as people said it's pretty long!