Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I get internet access on a laptop with cable running into the house?  (Read 4003 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

During the school year my daughter will be staying with my Dad. He has 1 computer with a cable connection. He says it runs into the back of his computer. Do I have to buy a wired/wireless router? And an ethernet card for him? And the part that goes into the laptop for wireless? Or because she will have cable TV in her room, is there something they sell that she can hook up in her room to that cable connection? I know how routers work, I have 1 at home, but am not familiar with laptops.

stevejohnson1958

A laptop has the same connections as a desktop...only difference maybe the laptop may have a wireless adapter already installed.  If it doesn't...you'll need a wireless adapter for it...if you plan on connecting wirelessly.

That being the case, you will need a wireless router...and that's pretty much it.

Follow the directions from the user guide of the router you plan to purchase.

Here's a good read for ya:

Setting Up a Home Network