Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How too nBackup?????????/  (Read 3817 times)

jjeany106

How too nBackup?????????/
« on: March 04, 2005, 03:30:48 PM »
 :-/ Hi its me again, jjeany. several of you told me if I was installing Windows XP HOME EDITION, Then I should Back-up. But How to do this is the Question.?????????????????????????????????????Please could you Help Me. Jeany j. MMMMMManyyyyyyy Thankkkkkkkks.Jean.  :-[ Sorry to appear so Thick.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: How too nBackup?????????/
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 03:52:33 PM »
So, are you using Windows XP now?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

jjeany106

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 08:54:38 AM »

No, i have still got 98se,I have been on holiday so decided to wait until i returned before i put in the xp cd rom.   j.j.

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 12:40:33 PM »
    jjeany106.....I think what the others were telling you was to save anything that currently in the win 98 SE system ...for example any pictures , possibly your E mail address book and that sort of thing ...... burn that sort of thing to a cd and then it will be available when you install the new O/S Win Xp .....
    Remember to start with a clean slate .....in other word completely wipe or Format your hard drive .........Then
    do the following .....
    1 install win XP  
    2 install your anti virus program
    3 Now go on -line and get all the updates from M/S ....both critical and other .....and any drivers that may be available for you ......Make sure you get SP2 and all of its updates ........Be sure you have turned on your Auto update feature ...... Then and only then reload whatever programs you use .
    ***be sure to copy the settings for your mail account so that you will have them handy when you set up your mail account in XP .

Good luck

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: March 05, 2005, 12:41:10 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 02:28:05 PM »
    Is your WinXP-Home a Full Version or an Upgrade Version?  If it's an Upgrade, do not do anything to what you have.  It will install over Win98.

jjeany106

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2005, 04:07:30 PM »

hi Flame, i think it is an upgrade, I have a CD Rom with a Product Number. So is that an UpGrade or anot.????????????????.     J.J.

merlin_2

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2005, 04:32:06 PM »
    unless you altered your winxp settings........winxp will ......set=up  the system restore feature......and the sfp =system file protection and the upgrade will keep the install files from your old system.................you have no worries........just get the anti-net/software crap......that is sent via.....spam......etc.......