Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: inssufficent power supply, need recommendation  (Read 2163 times)

Dgit

Topic Starter

Rookie
    inssufficent power supply, need recommendation
    « on: August 18, 2008, 08:31:07 PM »
    okay i just got the new GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512mb, and every time i start the computer it tells me that it detects insufficent power input (not sure if its voltage or wattage it needs) i also have a pentium 4 3GhZ, 3GB RAM (2 sticks) 2 dvd drives one supports light scribe, some green LED strips, and 2 fans (one of the fans is also LED) My power supply is 12 amps, 470W max. the box from the card says i need 475W PCI Express compliant power supply, with combined 12V current rating of 26A or more. Can i get a power supply that will fully support my setup, which one would you recommend, and can i stay under $70? or any other tips regarding this are welcome
    Intell Pentium 4 3ghz
    BFG GeForce 9800GTX+
    470W PSU (insufficent)
    2 sticks 3GB RAM, 2 DVD drives
    ASUS P5ND2-SLI motherboard

joevh09

Hopeful
      • Yes
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: inssufficent power supply, need recommendation
    « Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:56:02 PM »
    You could get one under 70 dollars but it might not quite have enough power I would recommend a 500-550 Watt PSU.
    go to www.newegg.com they have a wide range of power supplies at a good price.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 09:01:19 PM »
    Don't cut coners on a PSU - 12V at 26A will I think require at very least a supply well over 500W ........... go browse at the Antec.com site and see what is there - and then, newegg.com or techforless.com to see what is available for what price.  Don't buy too cheap - it may not be worth it.

Thirsty graphics cards are biggest reason usually for a need to upgrade PSU - and I'd reckon you should go up to even 650W region - have some power in hand.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

JJ 3000

Egghead
    « Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 09:22:53 PM »
    Dont get cheap on your power supply it's one of the most important components of your machine. Have you ever visited http://www.pricewatch.com/ for your computer parts?
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 09:55:30 PM »
    antec, pc power and cooling, and crucial are all very good i would recommend getting OVER 500watts becuase the miminum is 475 and you want over that

Dgit

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 09:06:11 AM »
      all right then, i settled for the OCX 600W SLI psu ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341001 ) my current PSU isnt even SLI compatoble. also another question, on the video card, there are 2 power slots, does that mean it requires 2 power cbles running to it? Im broke after the video card as well, it will be maybe a week of straight savings untill i can buy the 600W SLI psu, is it safe to operate the computer they way it is right now? Also the found new hardware wizard keeps popping up and asking me to install the video card, i DID install the drivers from the CD, and they ARE working, so what can i do about that, pressing cancel upon every startup is annoying
      « Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 09:27:08 AM by Dgit »
      Intell Pentium 4 3ghz
      BFG GeForce 9800GTX+
      470W PSU (insufficent)
      2 sticks 3GB RAM, 2 DVD drives
      ASUS P5ND2-SLI motherboard

computeruler

Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 07:08:27 PM »
      um well its a big chance cause the psu could blow it might take some things with it so its a big risk

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 08:14:40 PM »
      um well its a big chance cause the psu could blow it might take some things with it so its a big risk

HuH ? ?
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

joevh09

Hopeful
        • Yes
      « Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:21:22 PM »
      I have almost the same PSU as you are looking at mines the StealthXStream version. I'm really pleased with its performance, very quiet. Supplies more than enough power to run my system. I would definitely recommend it. I also got mine off of NewEgg.