Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: IBM ThinkPad very slow when wireless  (Read 4260 times)

hollandman99

IBM ThinkPad very slow when wireless
« on: March 05, 2005, 08:54:48 AM »
I have an IBM ThinkPad R51 with a Wireless Router (CN-WF506).

When the IBM is connected by wire to the internet, there is no problem and it runs at a decent speed.  However, when going wireless, it is very slow.

Any recommendations?  Thanks

merlin_2

Re: IBM ThinkPad very slow when wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 04:27:17 PM »
WIFFY..........wireless is proned to being scanned.....by trackers....keyloggers.unless the wiffy  connection........is encypted...........then you will have problem........data/info is  worth a lot.........do you allow people to listen into your personal phones......well do you!you may have....

hollandman99

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2005, 05:41:29 AM »
I appreciate the insight (and I go wireless only on occasion), but it still does not answer my question about the speed when going wireless.  

What is a WIFFY? and is it only for encryption purposes?  And how can it be obtained?

Can anyone out there help me?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 05:43:35 AM by hollandman99 »

Sidewinder

Guru

• Experience: Familiar
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2005, 07:00:01 AM »
If my information is correct, your modem has a data bit speed of 11 Mbps. When you are wireless, how far is the ThinkPad from the router? The indoor range of your router is 300 feet which is probably sufficient for most homes. You also have to consider the obstacles between the PC and the router. Cinder block or cement walls will slow down the speed of your connection. Microwave ovens and cell phones (especially the new ones) can disrupt a connection entirely.

Try placing the router and the PC in line of sight and see what kind of speed you get. Another possiblity is to upgrade to a "G" router (54Mbps).

Hope this was helpful.  8)
The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination.

-- Albert Einstein