Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop Power Cord  (Read 2470 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Laptop Power Cord
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:58:15 AM »
I have a Dell Latitude D620.

Because I travel so much, I don't use the OEM power brick, I have a Kensington Universal adaptor (great for cars, planes, etc.).

Well, beginning last night, it no longer charges the machine when it's plugged in. It has to be held in place with a little upward pressure (i.e., putting a soda bottle cap underneath the male end).

An original Dell power brick works just fine.

So... something has changed that makes a loosey connection with the non-OEM, but the OEM is A-OK. Any thoughts on a) what might have happened, b) can it be permanently fixed?

(The soda bottle cap trick works when I'm sitting at a desk, but it means I can't charge it when the computer's in my briefcase, or on a plane or car, etc....)

Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Re: Laptop Power Cord
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
I've also noticed the block seems to be warmer than usual...?

Could this be location-specific, or am I doing something very, very bad?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

stevejohnson1958

Re: Laptop Power Cord
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 12:54:06 PM »
These adapters will get warm...and that's normal...

However, it's better to use an adapter provided by the manufacturer...rather than a universal one.  Any attempts you make to fix it will only result in a temporary fix...the problem will still persist.

If I were you...and the adapter is not that old, I'd contact the manufacturer for a warranty replacement...or contact the manufacturer for the correct adapter you need.