Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Just restored VISTA, need advice on updates  (Read 2067 times)

jim.mar

Topic Starter

Apprentice
  • Long in the tooth, shy between the ears
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
Just restored VISTA, need advice on updates
« on: August 20, 2008, 10:23:56 AM »
18 months ago I purchased a HP dv9000 laptop.  It came with Vista.  I didn’t like it but I was in a hurry and was re-assured that it wasn’t all that much different than XP (HAH).  Anyway I have struggled along with it for 18 months while it became progressively more troublesome.  Finally it got to the point where I could not install anything and was having a lot of difficulty.   Yesterday I re-installed the entire OS.  Now it is back to where it was 18 months ago, it is working but does not have any of the updates that have developed since Jan 2007.   I tried to download SP 1 which is a recent development but it turns out to be over 450 megabytes which is a long time to download (with DSL)  of about 80 to 100 k-bytes/sec.  Question….If I download SP-1, will I still need to download all of the other updates; there are about 70 of them.    It looks like several hours of downloading and installing. I am looking for the fastest and easiest way out here.  Any advice??
Thanks for reading this and any response  you may have (  :) or ??? or  >:( )  JIM
You are much appreciated..     Thank you ,

stevejohnson1958

Re: Just restored VISTA, need advice on updates
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 04:57:42 PM »
Welcome to Computer Hope...

You can get the CD from here:  Newegg for about $5, but by the time you get it...you could have already downloaded and installed the Service Pack yourself.