Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System speaker not working  (Read 1869 times)

jimmygyuma

Topic Starter

Rookie

System speaker not working
    « on: August 20, 2008, 11:06:10 AM »
    First, I am talking about the speaker that beeps after POST on startup, not the speakers and associated components that play Beethoven.

History: I had this same problem when I first got this computer, an Acer Aspire 1640z (may it burn in everlasting hellfire.)  ToggleKeys would not work, no matter what I did. I really depend on this for CapsLock as it's easier to remember which beep I heard last than whether I've hit it an even or odd number of times. And then one day many months later it just started working. It was after I had connected to the internet and enabled auto updates so I thought maybe somehow that had fixed it.

Now, after my recent go round with installing/uninstalling Service Pack 3, it has stopped working again. However, it is not ToggleKeys, because when I turn on SoundSentry the Title bar blinks. So I have narrowed down the problem to the System Speaker, which seems to have disappeared.

I found a list of all the registry settings for this beast and what they are supposed to be, and all mine are set as advertised.

On another site a fellow said to go to device manager and find System Speaker under System Devices and...I have no System Speaker under System Devices!

If anyone has any ideas, I would be grateful.

qinghao

Intermediate
    • Don't think your self special
      Re: System speaker not working
      « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 12:40:47 PM »
      First, I am talking about the speaker that beeps after POST on startup, not the speakers and associated components that play Beethoven.
      I have no idea about this.
      On another site a fellow said to go to device manager and find System Speaker under System Devices and...I have no System Speaker under System Devices!
      there is not speaker driver ,only audio devices on the system.
      play Beethoven.
      what's this?

Do you want the system beep when you hit togglekeys?
      there are some instructions :
      "start menu"-> "run" ->type "access.cpl" -> OK

jimmygyuma

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: System speaker not working
        « Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 12:52:22 PM »
        Thank you, but as I stated in my post, ToggleKeys is not the problem.