Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 486 re-build problem  (Read 4274 times)

graynz

486 re-build problem
« on: March 05, 2005, 05:57:48 PM »
I'm trying to rebuild a 486DX4/100. It was working in it's old case, but the power supply fan had stopped, plus the case was huge & ugly. The power supply looked like a big job to swap over, as it is soldered to the switches etc... (I have another 486 for parts) so I decided to carefully put the working one into the other case with the functional (and newer) power supply.
All seemed to go well untill I booted up, ...  the drives spin up but that's all. Nothing ! not even 'post' or any beeps.
I've re-checked the ribbon cables, tried other cables, re-checked plug/socket connection .... what have I missed ???
It is a 'no name' motherboard with an Intel DX40DPR100 (overdrive) CPU, & ALi M1487B1 & M1489A1 chips. 4 PCI slots (one with the video card) and two Hard drives.
All is as it was when it was working in the old case, apart from the power supply (old one was 150 watt/ new one 200 watt)
any ideas out there  ????     :-/