Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: new drive sata wont start  (Read 7390 times)

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • The wonders of modern technology.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    new drive sata wont start
    « on: August 21, 2008, 05:41:41 AM »
    Hello, I bought a new WD 500 Gig Drive, SATA connection for my Dell. But it doesnt boot up for me to load WInXp. Can someone walk me through the proceedure Please?

The Dell is a Dimension4600i
    Pentuim4 Duo
    1.5 gig RAM
    E210882 Mobo
    Service Tag 7xkz91S
    Western Digital 500 GIG No Operating system installed.
    Ive tried loading the disk with XP on it in the CD player but it doesnt start up.

[recovering disk space -- attachment deleted by admin]
    It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

xavier

Re: new drive sata wont start
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:12:06 AM »
    Did you use the WD disc that came with the drive if not do so

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
      « Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 07:43:48 AM »
      Xavier, thank you. What does wd disc mean. I didnt get anything with the new drive when I bought it.eg Disk with driver files, Just the Drive in a packet two cables for power and data.
      The chap at the store fitted the cable to the box for the data(coz they gave me the wrong one first. Then I installed the drive to the box, added power and switched it on.
      I went to the bios to reset the values to recocnize the new sata drive... but no joy yet.
      It takes 15 years to become an overnight success & Windows 10 will add another 10 years to it.

xavier

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 12:30:22 PM »
      Sorry been away. You shold have gotten a disc that says DATA LIFEGUARD TOOLS,you probaly got a OEM hard  drive. anyway go to western D web site and from there you download the data life guard tool. You have to pick out the HD first from a selection.If you cant do the download use the support phone # and call them .Have the serial # on hand they will ask for it. From there i think you will be in good shape. Before you do this is the new drive the only 1 you have in the PC? can you get into windows from this pc that you are putting the new drive in? if so right click on my computer-click on manage- click on disc managment, what do yousee?

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
        « Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 05:52:37 AM »
        Thanks Xavier. I didnt get any disc from the retailer. They gave me the drive (sealed) and two cables only.
        So I go to the WD site, download this file and save to a 31/2 floppy.

How will the computer recognize the floppy disk?The computer only gets to the bios.
        There is no drive, no Windows installed and the cd insnt installed (so the bios says)

The new drive is  500WD SATA II 16M HDD. Thats not OEM, is it?
        The Model # is WD500AACS

ArtSiren

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 06:40:54 AM »
          I've been having a similar problem, but not so sure now that I needed to replace my HDD as it could be a faulty RAM problem.

However, my BIOS also didn't recognise either my old hard drive or the new Maxtor DiamondMax22 that I've bought. I read elsewhere on the web that if you've got a fairly old motherboard, then SATA and SATA II drives sometimes are not recognised by BIOS, and sometimes show up as SCSI devices.

I'm presuming that you'd have to set your floppy drive as the boot up drive in BIOS to get into files Xavier mentioned.

xavier

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 07:06:09 AM »
          If you are still having pblms. call 1-800-275-4932 WD support have the serial # for them.Are all cables connected?

xavier

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2008, 07:23:28 AM »
          One other thing set your bios to best known config. or to default. also some mother boards have a raid connection for the hard drive, if yous does make sure its not connected to that slot

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
            « Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 08:35:13 AM »
            Thanks for the number Xavier. Unfortunately that number is unavailable for me from Australia.
            I will try to contact Dell Australia on Monday. (friday night Here currently.)
            I downloaded the Data Lifeguard tools to a CD, but that wont work because it doesnt have an operating system.
            The cable for the data was connected by the staff member I purchased it from, I put the power cable together and installed the drive. the bios doesnt have a default setting. Nor does it have, best last know configuration setting that I know of.
            Thanks for your help so far everyone. Im tired now going to give it a rest till tommorrow.

xavier

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
            Been thinking about yourPBLM, since your bios isnt detecting your HD, i have read that updating the bios might help?

homer

Expert
              « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
              this may or may not be the problem, but did you set the time of day in the BIOS? it looks like that is all it wants you to do. what happens when you hit "F1" to continue?

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                « Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 11:38:15 PM »
                Homer I have set the date and time. then reboot and I get F1  to continue and F2 to enter setup.
                F1 does nothing, instantly bringing up f1 f2 again.
                In F2 I get this (see photo's)
                Pic 1 MVC-005S, displays enter bios select Drive configuration.
                Pic 2 MVC-006S, displays My choice of items to change.
                This is where I need help in choosing which to select and what to set it to.
                At one time I actually had the drive found, however a thermal event shut it down.
                See Pic 3. So the computer has actually found the drive at one point.

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                  « Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 12:12:31 AM »
                  Sorry first two were wrong disk.
                  Try these, Thanks

xavier

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 07:47:18 AM »
                  From the dell support page: Shut off your PC, after re starting you should DELL screen on monitor, press ctrl+alt+ d {not del] this should show the diognstic mode wait to complete. they also mention bios upgrade like i posted before. webb  {GOOGLE dell support}

xavier

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »
                  They also suggest to update bios like i posted B for. ANY chance to use a ide drive or another sata drive to test?

xavier

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 08:12:10 AM »
                  One other thing clear the cmos if you dont know how then remove battery for appx. 20 min. re set time in bios after clearing cmos

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                    « Reply #16 on: August 24, 2008, 01:40:24 AM »
                    Xavier, Thank you. Im going to give that a try today and tommorrow it should be fixed (hopefully).
                    Start up hit Ctl Alt d  (for diagnose).
                    I'll take it slowly and go through it all step by step.
                    I'll format a 13 gig drive IDE and install that tonight to test out the system.
                    Id like to thank everyone that offered help on my problem.
                    Hopefully these last few steps will cure it all. Thanks.

xavier

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2008, 07:10:23 AM »
                    Let us know

xavier

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2008, 07:41:11 AM »
                    If after you install the ide drive and it is recognised, why nor put your os on that and then try the sata drive

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                      « Reply #19 on: August 30, 2008, 11:30:02 AM »
                      Xavier, thanks Ive tried to replace the cd drive with another, (just now actually), but the computer doesnt see it.
                      I put the 13 GIG drive in, it has win98se on it and so far (touch wood) it operates. plays solitare completely. there isnt anything else on the drive except Win 98 and the cd doesnt work so I cant load any other programs on it.

When I use add new hardware, the cd player isnt found. When I pick out cd player from the menu list it tells me I dont have a cd player installed. Also the bios doesnt have the cd player installed either.
                      Im just going through the bios settings and changing them one by one and rebooting the computer. Do you have a fast way of getting the cdplayer installed?

patio

• Genius
                      • Maud' Dib
                        • Yes
                      • Experience: Beginner
                      « Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 09:51:29 AM »
                      Very early on in the XP install process there is a prompt "Press F6 to install SATA/RAID drivers".....
                      At that point press F6 and have your Dell Driver disc handy.
                      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                        « Reply #21 on: September 01, 2008, 07:22:12 AM »
                        I put the 13 GIG drive in, it has win98se on it
                        Thanks patio, I only have Win 98, the cd player does not work and the tools for loading the sata drive are on cd. So far the sata drive is not recognized and I cant load XP yet.
                        Ive been trying to get an Imation Superdisk LS120 on my other computer to download the DATA LIFEGUARD TOOLS for the sata drive, then install the superdisk on the Dell so I can load the drivers and get the 500 Gig drive operational.
                        Then for the CD problem. I think I should start a new thread for that one.
                        In fact I see the cd Player as a more important issue than the drive at this stage. At least with an IDE drive with win98se on it, I can get the Dell on the net and download the drivers that way

patio

• Genius
                        • Maud' Dib
                          • Yes
                        « Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:03 AM »
                        Borrow another CD player to make sure it's not the drive itself...
                        With Win 98 you will need to install drivers...

ImnoGuru

Topic Starter

Adviser
                          « Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 08:19:30 AM »
                          Ive got several in "stock" to choose from. I tried another cd Player same result... no player installed.maybe they are both broken? I'll try another.
                          Patio when I go to the bios, it tells me cd not installed?????, so I changed the cable from the cd, to the cable off the IDE then to the cd. So the cd and the player were on the same cable. No result, then I changed the cable from the mobo for another cable altogether, no result.
                          Im going to change the pins from master to slave and test the sequences.
                          If I can get the Dell online, I might be able to update the bios. Now that I have a working hard drive installed, Ican instal a modem or a network card.

patio

• Genius
                          • Maud' Dib
                            • Yes
                          « Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »
                          Try it on it's own on IDE2 with a brand new cable and it jumpered as Master...