Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Copy files to Users Directroy  (Read 2131 times)

Pandasgang

Copy files to Users Directroy
« on: August 21, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »
New to the board, not sure if this is the right forum... but here it goes.

I'm trying to write a batch file to copy a directory from a network drive and create that directory to the user currently logged on Documents and Settings (i.e. C:\Documents and Settings\Jimmy.Joe\) computers have multiple users and network permissions will not allow access to C:\Documents and Settings\all users\
current OS Windows XP.

Thanks
Paul

alan1000

Rookie

Re: Copy files to Users Directroy
    « Reply #1 on: August 23, 2008, 05:34:49 AM »
    Hi Paul,

I'm not an expert on networking, or batch programming either for that matter, but if copying this directory meets a genuine operational need - ie will result in a genuine productivity or efficiency gain for all users - then your network administrator ought to have the brains and the gumption to realise that you need a permission to access All Users;  and YOU need to make sure that point gets across!

The only alternative I can think of is the obvious one of iterating the Xcopy command as many times as you have different users, specifying each user in turn.  This is obviously a much clunkier and clumsier solution because if you have twenty users, data transfer will take twenty times as long, and will take up twenty times as much disc space.