Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: ASUS p5pl2 will not recognise firewire  (Read 5243 times)

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

ASUS p5pl2 will not recognise firewire
    « on: August 21, 2008, 07:44:25 PM »
    I just bought a 1TB maxtor firewire 400 one touch external. Works on usb. I returned one, but this new one gives the same error:

one of the usb devices attacked to this computer has malfunctioned and windows does not recognise it..." ect.

I've done a windows update recently (Using XP). It's a 1394 port on both the drive and the computer. There's 2 on the drive and I've tried both and no change in results. I try to update drive in the devince manager, and it says it can't find one better than one I have (yet also says I have none...go figure)  so what gives? Am I stuck with usb?

Both cable, HD port, and computer port say 1394, so I assume it should work.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: ASUS p5pl2 will not recognise firewire
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 07:52:57 PM »
    Did this not come with any installation CD?

I'm not sure, but try going to the Manufacturer's website and downloading the appropriate Drivers and installing them.

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2008, 12:32:53 AM »
      Ok, issues:

I've connected the 1TB drive via usb, installed the software and restarted. However, I still have the same issues with the firewire not working, plus I have no added issues (not sure if it's related to the software on the new drive itself) but it kicks off my other usb drives when I use the 1TB drive. I must unplug the 1TB drive, then switch off and back on my other drives to be useable again and unplug and plug back in my usb card reader if I want to use that. I've uninstalled the software and restarted, then tried the drive, still no luck. I could try placing all the software in a rar archive and deleting all the preprogrammed files on the 1TB, but will wait untill someone can tell me how to fix the firewire. If that can't be fixed I'll likely try the rar, if it leaves me unable to use it at all, no biggie, it's going back to the store anyways.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: August 23, 2008, 12:56:22 AM »
      Hmmm...Can you give me the exact model of the drive?

Also can you explain exactly what happens when you plug it in.

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2008, 01:14:15 AM »
        stm310004OTA3E5-RK is the model number.

The balloon that pops up is the same balloon you get when you plug in a new device for the first time, like an external drive or an MP3 player, ect. Except it contains the text I quoted in the first post of this topic (I didn't add the part where it says replace the device, I've already done that). However, the balloon doesn't just show up an stay there for a while till you click it, it goes on and off rapidly. This happens even with the software installed. The software, technicly, is the one touch backup material. My I/O magic external (or was it my rocket fish external IDE case?) drive had similar software, but doesn't require it to use the drive. All it is for is if you want the automated crap where you press the button and it auto-backs up selected materials. I don't care if that even works at all, I am strictly using it for storage. I've now uninstalled the maxtor software as above. I don't have any software from other external HD's installed that could be causing a problem.

When using the drive on USB it kicks off my other drives. If I start my computer with the maxtor plugged in on usb, it wont even show the other externals on device manager. They will show up under usb devices with the yellow question mark saying the device cannot start or be started or whatever it was. No reason an external HD should care if others are installed and activley block them if they are. If that is not preventable I will go with another company..I am sure maxtor is not the only company offering 1TB.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 07:18:06 AM »
          that doesn't help. Disk management and device manager are no go, drive doesn't show up when hooked to firewire. I have xp SP3.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 07:22:19 AM »
          Can you try it on another computer just to make sure it isn't a fault with the drive?

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 07:42:20 AM »
            I only have 1 computer. The drive has both a USB and a firewire option, and it works using usb, though kills all other usb drives in the process...

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 07:49:44 AM »
            I'm not really sure what else we could do....or at least I can do. (for now)
            I strongly suggest you try it on another computer though.

Did you try reinstalling the drivers for the device (in Device Manager)?

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 02:16:36 PM »
              doesn't need any. Says I don't have any. connects to windows, can't find a better one.

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              • Experience: Beginner
              « Reply #11 on: August 24, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
              Try re-installing your MBoard drivers from the Asus Driver CD that came with the MBoard...
              The Firewire drivers will be on the same CD but the MBoard drivers should be re-installed first.
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 01:05:45 PM »
                well, I don't have any CD for it. I got this computer whole from a family member and eerything was installed, though I think there are drivers on the asus site..because I think we installed new drivers because the mic wouldn't work either..

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 05:12:52 PM »
                That would be the place to travel to....

Try re-installing your MBoard drivers from the Asus Driver CD that came with the MBoard...
                The Firewire drivers will be on the same CD but the MBoard drivers should be re-installed first.

Remember this step is FIRST.
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Starforce2

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 05:31:26 PM »
                  well, after reviewing the list of drivers for the asus p5pl2, there seem to be alot of realtek lan drivers, soundblaster lives drivers, ect, nothing that seems to be firewire related or for that matter anything listed as general motherboard drivers.