Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Router changed, wireless printing through the network lost  (Read 4411 times)

kealii21

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Router changed, wireless printing through the network lost
    « on: August 25, 2008, 01:23:25 PM »
    I have an HP deskjet printer hardwired to Dell desktop running Windows XP which in turn is connected to a router with wireless capability that is connected to my ISP via a fiberoptic cable.  Six months ago I got a Dell Inspiron notebook, which I connected to the wireless network.  For 5 months I had full web access and could print wirelessly to the HP.  Then a month ago we kept losing the internet.  Turned out to be a battery issue in the ISP hardware.  They made the repair and swapped out the old router for a new one just to be safe.  A week later, I configured the laptop for the new network and got on the internet, but I can no longer print.  The laptop says it can't find any printers on the network.  No setting were changed on the laptop, except the ID of the router, so there clearly has to be a problem with the desktop computer, but it prints fine, and the computer's printer settings are set for the printer to be shared.  What am i missing?

RayDude

Beginner

Re: Router changed, wireless printing through the network lost
      « Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:31:21 PM »
      Just to make sure, this is your configuration:

* HP Printer
      | U S B cable
      * Desktop PC running Windows XP
      | Ethernet
      * Router
      | Wireless
      * Laptop Running Windows XP

My guess is: because you changed the network interface, Windows turned off Printer Sharing. Go to Start -> Printers, and see if the printer is shared by right clicking it and choose "Sharing".

If it is shared, then make sure that both computers are in the same work group. I bet there's a guide around here that covers this, but quickly: On both computers you need to: In the start menu, right click "my computer" and choose "properties" Then click "computer name". Make sure both computers are in the same work group.

That should be all you need to make sure the laptop can see the printer. If it doesn't work, we'll have to do more trouble shooting.

Raydude

kealii21

Topic Starter

Rookie
        « Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 07:31:44 PM »
        RayDude,

That's the configuration.  Printer sharing was, and still is, on, and both computers are in the same workgroup.  I've also tried adding a printer from the laptop, and all I get when I run the Wizard in the printer list is "microsoft windows network", and when I click on that, nothing happens.

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 09:29:38 PM »
          RayDude,

That's the configuration.  Printer sharing was, and still is, on, and both computers are in the same workgroup.  I've also tried adding a printer from the laptop, and all I get when I run the Wizard in the printer list is "microsoft windows network", and when I click on that, nothing happens.

Okay, then you have to specify the path to the computer in the second radio button box. So open the printers panel, click add printer, select network printer, then select the second radio button and fill in the name of the computer and the printer in this format:

Code: [Select]
          \\computer\printer
          You can find the name of the computer by going to the computer name page of the computer properties dialog box (where you set the workgroup) and the printer share name is set in the share dialog box within the printers control panel window.

If you still can't map the printer, you'll have to get more basic...

Click Start, click "run", type "cmd" and press enter (no quotes).

A command window will open, activate the window by clicking on it and then in the window type ipconfig.

Do that on both the laptop and the desktop system.

You'll likely see many network devices but only one should have ip addresses for each computer. The wireless for the laptop and the ethernet port for the desktop.

Then in the command window for the desktop, type "ping " (space afterward) and the ip address of the laptop.

Likewise ping the desktop from the laptop. If either of those fails, there's a weird problem with the router.

The only other thing I can think that's happening is the router is assigning different subnets to the wireless and desktop and then not routing packets between them. Or possibly the router is blocking these kinds of packets from traveling between the networks.

Different subnets would look like this:

192.168.0.10 <- laptop
          192.168.1.10 <- desktop

This won't work if the router doesn't act as a bridge. I've never seen a wireless router do this so I strongly doubt it, but it's the idea that came to mind.

Perhaps you could log into the wireless router and see how its configured... That's getting a bit more detailed yet, so let me know how this bit goes and we'll go from here.

Raydude

kealii21

Topic Starter

Rookie
            « Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:49:02 AM »
            The ping is the problem.  The desktop will ping the laptop, but the laptop will not ping the desktop.  It times out when it tries.
            The ip addresses are basically the same except for the last digit.  The desk top ends in .1.2 and the laptop in .1.3.
            So, how do I log into the wireless router, if that is the next step, or should I just call my ISP and ask them to walk me through the process of reconfiguring the router to allow my laptop to access the printer since the problem seems to be their router, not my computers or my printer?
            Thanks again.

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 08:16:17 AM »
              Looks like they are blocking packets at the router.

Generally, the ip address of the router will be something like 192.168.1.1

So in firefox (on your desktop) type http://192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter.

That should get you into the router setup menu.

You might be able to figure out where the packet limitation is by searching the menus, but since its the ISP's router you might as well call them and have them walk you through it.

Let us know how it goes.

Raydude

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • Yes
              • Certifications: List
              • Experience: Guru
              « Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 08:18:25 AM »
              Mine is 192.168.2.1.

Just my 2 cents worth.

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 08:20:33 AM »
                Mine is 192.168.2.1.

Just my 2 cents worth.

You'll notice that he mentions his laptop and desktop have .1.2 and .1.3.

Raydude