Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Crash during Windows update... now can't start at all  (Read 2736 times)

sirspe

Crash during Windows update... now can't start at all
« on: August 27, 2008, 01:39:10 PM »
This seems like a great forum.  I can't believe I've never stumbled across this before.

Here's my problem:
My computer, running Windows XP,  was running slowly - it seemed like it needed a reboot.  I also noticed it had Windows updates ready to be installed.  I don't know if that contributed to the sluggishness, but I figured installing & rebooting was a good idea.

The Computer wouldn't shut down.  Some programs wouldn't close.  I closed, then quit, then force-quit everything I could.  I walked away.  I came back and it still didn't shut down.

So, I held the power button until it turned off.

I rebooted, but it wouldn't load Windows.

I can F12 for a boot menu, or F2 for setup, as usual
I can <CTRL A>  for SCSI menu, as usual

Then, I get the Safe Mode options (I'm paraphrasing these options):
[
- Safe Mode
- Safe Mode w/ networking
- Safe Mode w/ Command Prompt
- Last known Good Config.
- Normal
]

Nearly every option leads to a scrolling of commands of different ".sys" files.
The only exception is choosing the "Last known good config". Unfortunately, that has the Windows XP load screen for a few seconds before it stops, too.

Then, no matter which option I choose,  I get the same Blue Screen that reads:
"A problem has been detected and Windows has benn shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
 If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your compluter.  If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Disable or unstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. Check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.
Technical information:
*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 867CB820, 0xC0000102, 0x00000000)"

(I think I got that exactly right)

From this screen, I can't seem to do anything except hold the power button to try again.
I don't know how to get to a command prompt from here to run anything, nor disable/uninstall anything.

So, I'm stuck.
That's where I hope you can provide guideance.

Thank you very much in advance.

-Josh

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Crash during Windows update... now can't start at all
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »
A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

From MSDN...

You may have to remove the drive and hook it up as a slave drive in another working machine to run dskchk and defrag...

Let us know...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

qinghao

Intermediate
  • Don't think your self special
    « Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 03:08:22 PM »
    You can use the install CD to install system with UPGRADE mode

during the installing the setup program will check the automaticly,
    if the install completed successfully you disk is OK ,otherwise you disk must came with some problems.

merlin

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:48:07 PM »
      Not a geniune o/s disk> I persume<