Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to connect 2nd Monitor to laptop over 100 feet away?  (Read 4308 times)

LukeJ

Topic Starter

Starter

How to connect 2nd Monitor to laptop over 100 feet away?
    « on: September 09, 2008, 08:05:31 AM »
    My laptop has to feed info via a second monitor to individuals possibly 100+ feet away. (Outdoor event) I have read enough to be dangerous. I have seen CAT5, S-Video with an amplifer, etc. Can someone help?

Thanks!

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
      Next time google it.

LukeJ

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: How to connect 2nd Monitor to laptop over 100 feet away?
        « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 12:03:39 PM »
        Thanks FB. My concern would be interference with other wireless equipment. We have mics and cameras running on wireless feeds. Will this cause problems with those?

Thanks!

fireballs

Apprentice

• Code:Terminal
          « Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:26:39 PM »
          most of those devices use 2.4Ghz that is an ISM frequency:
          Individual countries' use of the bands designated in these sections may differ due to variations in national radio regulations. Because communication devices using the ISM bands must tolerate any interference from ISM equipment, these bands are typically given over to uses intended for unlicensed operation, since unlicensed operation typically needs to be tolerant of interference from other devices anyway. In the United States of America, ISM uses of the ISM bands are governed by Part 18 of the FCC rules, while Part 15 Subpart B contains the rules for unlicensed communication devices, even those that use the ISM frequencies.

FB
          Next time google it.

LukeJ

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:22:16 PM »
            What kind of lag time should I expect with the wireless? Everything I am reading basically says it is a crap shoot. I have also heard to have to register or do something with the FCC with some of these units. What would be my hardwire backup? Sorry for all the stupid questions, just trying to get my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

killerb255

Adviser
              • Experience: Expert
              « Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »
              Wireless is certainly an option.

If latency is an issue with wireless, then use a CAT5 KVM extender instead:

http://www.kvm-switches-online.com/kvm-extenders.html
              Quote from: talontromper
              Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.