Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Want to be able to play DVD's in WMP 11  (Read 3197 times)

janlafata

Topic Starter

Rookie

Want to be able to play DVD's in WMP 11
    « on: August 26, 2008, 10:20:37 AM »
    I'm a little confused about this whole codec and decoder issue. I just want to be able to watch DVD's on my Windows Media Player 11. But I have Vista Basic x64 and it supposedly does not come with an MPEG-2 decoder.

So I did some Google searching and was to Elecard Software. But I couldn't see an MPEG-2 decoder that works with Vista x64. Unless the one listed, that says it works on XP, also works on Vista. I did find a free Cyberlink MPEG-2 decoder from Softpedia.com: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Codec-Packs-Video-Codecs/Stinkys-MPEG-Codec.shtml

The decoder did work and I was able to play my DVD but I had no sound. After that, I did a little research and found that I might need something called an AC3 Filter, which I understand is needed to play sound on certain DVD's and players. Would you concur with that?

Also I have heard that I should stay away from those all-in-one codec packages, as they can cause more trouble than they're worth. I would rather do that too, if I can, I've seen the breakdown of codecs that get installed, and I just don't think that I need or want them all, gunking things up.

Any other help would be surely appreciated.
    Jan LaFata
    Jan LaFata

Annon

Re: Want to be able to play DVD's in WMP 11
    « Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:35:39 AM »

Google

Mentor

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Want to be able to play DVD's in WMP 11
      « Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
      Not sure but this may help you.