Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Vista SP1 and realtek High definition audio  (Read 3714 times)

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Vista SP1 and realtek High definition audio
« on: August 28, 2008, 05:38:30 PM »
prob: No sound at all.

Steps taken include removal of Sound driver, reinstallation of sound driver, fruitless web searches leading to the very same driver that was attempted to install several times, and general hair-pulling.

System is an Acer Am1100-E1203A. RealTek High Definition Audio On-board.

Apparently Windows Update installed SP1, (and/or a different driver) and now refuses to play sounds. Sound programs still detect that there is a sound device and gleefully use it,but no output is heard.

Speaker connections have been checked and re-checked (and then checked again).

System restore has been of little use. only two items are shown, a System restore Undo point, and another one. Neither one works however, usually with system restore complaining simply that it failed after reboot.

Searches on the net have turned up (as I said) essentially fruitless solutions, but has illustrated quite readily how common this problem is.

Any thoughts?

(Also, I'm not the one personally experiencing this- I'll try to get them to come in here themselves however, so they can be... um... directly interrogated)
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

stevejohnson1958

Re: Vista SP1 and realtek High definition audio
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 06:03:39 PM »
I would've recommended rolling back the driver from Device Manager properties, but that may be moot since the driver was removed and/or reinstalled.

Is this the driver you were looking for?

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/data/7117/documents/RealTek Audio Driver Vista.zip

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 06:09:36 PM »
thanks- I'll get my friend to try that one- will post back with results

BC_Programmer

Topic Starter

Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
GRRRRRRRRRR.

After over a half hour if simply getting them to unzip it and run setup.exe, finally installing it, and rebooting. It still didn't work for them

strange, I thought

very strange.

So I had them doublecheck all the connections, AND use a different cord.

response: "i got it goin"

almost a week of troubleshooting to fix it, and when it's finally fixed,  the exciting climax,where everything comes together was:

"i got it goin"

.... Anyway, it turned out that he used a different cord for the speakers and now it works. All this after going through services (WIndows Audio Service), installing,reinstalling ,uninstalling drivers, attempting to uninstall Vista SP1.... THe problem was the bloody cord.

Last time I make assumptions about stuff people check before getting outside help.

GRRRRRRRRRRR.

(oh well, at least he has the manufacturers driver rather then the generic RealTek one...)