Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: The directory or file C: is corrupt or unreadable Please run chdsk utility  (Read 5441 times)

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

Recently I keep getting a message saying that The directory or file C: is corrupt or unreadable Please run chdsk utility. I have run the chdsk utility many times but nothing is in the scan. I have also used error checking for the C drive but it says cannot complete scan.

What is the problem and why do i get that message?
    Also since I have started getting this message I cannot download anything from the internet from any website. Also I cannot use my D drive (CD-Drive) to backup on a CD.

I have a Windows 2000 computer with service pack 4 and with 495MB RAm and a 38.1 GB harddrive.

What should I do? I cannot reinstall windows because I don't have the CD for installing.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Find out who makes your hard drive and DLoad and run their Free diagnostics from their site...
    Not finishing the scan is a bad sign.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dias de verano

Your hard drive is probably dying or damaged. You will soon need to get another hard disk and a Windows or other OS install disk.

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

If my hard drive is dying or damaged and I have to get a new one will I need a new Windows OS or can I move everything from my original hardrive. I don't think I can find the diagnostics software. I have a Maxtor 4D040H2 hard drive.

Dias de verano

You may or not be able to move everything. In order to do so, you would need to mount the new drive as a slave and use a disk imaging program like Norton Ghost. If the disk is failing and/or corrupted, the transfer may halt because of this.

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

If I cannot move my information what should I do.
        If I can move my information how can I move my information and which harddrive would be best suited for my computer.

Also is there any way I can backup my information on my computer onto a CD or other storage device. ]

Is there another program that can be used for moving data?

Dias de verano

If you cannot move your information, 1. resign yourself to losing it 2. learn the lesson: make backups!

The hard drive that is suited to your computer is one 1. is compatible with your motherboard (IDE or SATA) 2. you can afford to buy (the bigger the better). Your current drive is IDE so you could get one of those.

You said you cannot use your CD drive.

There are plenty of programs for moving data. Try a Google search for "disk copying software".

silverknight

Topic Starter

Rookie

So I should look for a SATA hrd drive?
          What is a IDE drive and is it the same as SATA or compatible.