Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: RatDVD  (Read 5586 times)

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
RatDVD
« on: August 31, 2008, 06:33:43 AM »
Has any one ever tried out RatDVD? I am looking for some good software that I can use to shrink movies down so that I don't have to carry a bunch of DVD's with me when I travel overseas. I found RatDVD on file hippo.

http://filehippo.com/download_ratdvd/
You can't fix Stupid!!!

Dias de verano

Re: RatDVD
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 07:36:46 AM »
You may have trouble at customs...

Google

Mentor

• Certifications: List
    « Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
    Has any one ever tried out RatDVD? I am looking for some good software that I can use to shrink movies down so that I don't have to carry a bunch of DVD's with me when I travel overseas. I found RatDVD on file hippo.

http://filehippo.com/download_ratdvd/

Um,. I don't want to say anything illegal, but I use xilisoft dvd ripper.

Dias de verano

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 11:12:34 AM »
    I read the other day that in the UK, doing anything that cracks DECSS is technically illegal, which surprised me greatly, since transcoding DVDs into DivX avi format is very very common. People do it with their own DVDs to get them onto hard drives for media streaming and also to view them on portable media players among other reasons.

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 11:43:26 PM »
    You may have trouble at customs...

How would I have problems at customs???
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

Dias de verano

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 12:17:37 AM »
    How would I have problems at customs???

Importing illegal copies of DVDs

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 02:45:31 AM »
    I am wanting to make copies of the movies that have at home so that I don't have to take the actual disc with me.

Also if customs goes thru everything I have and is looking at the files on my comp to find the copied movies then I think having the copied movies would be the least of my problems.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #7 on: September 01, 2008, 02:57:29 AM »
    Why can't you just take the movies with you. ???

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #8 on: September 01, 2008, 04:26:01 AM »
    I can take them with me but some times it gets to be a pain in the *censored* trying to keep up with them and if I lose them or they get stolen I will be out the money for them.
    You can't fix Stupid!!!

Google

Mentor

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2008, 08:58:38 AM »
      I can take them with me but some times it gets to be a pain in the *censored* trying to keep up with them and if I lose them or they get stolen I will be out the money for them.

*censored*. I don't believe you for one second. I think you just want to illegally copy discs. If you already have the discs, thwen just take those. Plus I'm pretty sure you can't take DVD's across the border anywayss.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #10 on: September 01, 2008, 09:08:30 AM »

*censored*. I don't believe you for one second. I think you just want to illegally copy discs. If you already have the discs, thwen just take those. Plus I'm pretty sure you can't take DVD's across the border anywayss.

This is a hard one because he isn't really going to be breaking any laws if he keeps them on his computer for personal use. Since he already bought the movies, why can't he put them on his computer? As long as he doesn't share them, I personally don't have a problem with that.
      Then again, we don't know his true motives (or anyone else's motives visiting this topic as a guest or a fellow ComputerHope Member) which is why we cannot tell people how to rip movies off DVD's and such.

Google

Mentor

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 09:15:38 AM »

This is a hard one because he isn't really going to be breaking any laws if he keeps them on his computer for personal use. Since he already bought the movies, why can't he put them on his computer? As long as he doesn't share them, I personally don't have a problem with that.
        Then again, we don't know his true motives (or anyone else's motives visiting this topic as a guest or a fellow ComputerHope Member) which is why we cannot tell people how to rip movies off DVD's and such.

Sorry, I think I misunderstood him. I thiught he wanted to copy the DVD's to more discs. But, copying it to yoyur computer, all you have to do is use a DVD ripper, just search on google. I hope I was allowed to say that. But I didn't give any links  to anything illigal and I didn't think DVD rippers are illegal.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 09:17:24 AM »
        and I didn't think DVD rippers are illegal.
        Well they can be......

Dias de verano

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:09 AM »
        and I didn't think DVD rippers are illegal.
        Well they can be......

Like I said, anything that involves breaking the DECSS encryption on DVDs is illegal in Great Britain. It is currently illegal in the United Kingdom for people to “rip” content from a CD or DVD to their personal computers or other devices, though more than half of all British consumers have done so at some point, according to the National Consumer Council.

It is illegal in all countries which have ratified the EU Copyright Directive, as well as the United States. It may be legal in the latter country to make personal copies, but it is illegal to use dvd-ripping software to do it. "Go figure" as the Yanks say.

I don't know about other countries.

mroilfield

Topic Starter

Mentor
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #14 on: September 02, 2008, 12:33:38 AM »
        Thanks for all the input guys.

As my name suggest I work in the Oilfield and even though I live in the U.S. I take care of our Europe and Africa rigs and offices so I travel all over the place.  There are times that I might visit several different countries in a 28 day period. Heck once I went thru 9 different countries between Europ and Africa in a 28 day period. If you have traveled much over seas you know that you need to carry a good bit of stuff with you as you can't always find what you need where ever you may be so I was just looking for a way to reduce what I carry and to lower the risk of losing my movies. There are a few countries that I visit that customs checks every one's luggage when they arrive and will just take what ever they like and for some reason they love DVD's.

I am only making copies of the movies that I own and I wasn't wanting any one to tell me how to make copies I was just wanting a review of the mentioned software. Thanks for all the help and never mind about RatDVD I never could get it to work right but have found something else that works which I will not name.  ;)

Mr Google
        You can take DVD's across the border.
        You can't fix Stupid!!!

Google

Mentor

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2008, 08:04:17 AM »
          Thanks for all the input guys.

As my name suggest I work in the Oilfield and even though I live in the U.S. I take care of our Europe and Africa rigs and offices so I travel all over the place.  There are times that I might visit several different countries in a 28 day period. Heck once I went thru 9 different countries between Europ and Africa in a 28 day period. If you have traveled much over seas you know that you need to carry a good bit of stuff with you as you can't always find what you need where ever you may be so I was just looking for a way to reduce what I carry and to lower the risk of losing my movies. There are a few countries that I visit that customs checks every one's luggage when they arrive and will just take what ever they like and for some reason they love DVD's.

I am only making copies of the movies that I own and I wasn't wanting any one to tell me how to make copies I was just wanting a review of the mentioned software. Thanks for all the help and never mind about RatDVD I never could get it to work right but have found something else that works which I will not name.  ;)

Mr Google
          You can take DVD's across the border.

Just not downloaded ones... ;D