Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Sound and Power issues  (Read 2764 times)

NearPrefect

Topic Starter

Starter

Sound and Power issues
    « on: August 31, 2008, 01:43:41 PM »
    Updated the numbers for my PC's hardware.

Recently moved back up to college and brought my desktop and laptop with me.

Desktop is running Windows Vista and is custom built but perhaps you guys might have some answers.

Specs:
    MSI K9N4-SLI motherboard (has onboard sound)
    Nvidia graphics card (cant remember specific number)
    Dual core processor (AMD 64 i believe)
    3 gigs of RAM
    2 internal harddrives (1-120GB and 1-750GB)
    3 internal fans (Front, back, side)
    Heat sink and the other various necessary components
    Power Supply:  APEX SL-8600EPS 600W
    Onboard sound is Realtek'97 Audio

After plugging in all my equipment (monitor, tower, speakers, etc) Boots up, display works, graphics work, all data is there. I come to find out that the sound doesn't work however. Nothing is muted, the drivers have the most recent updates and the speakers work fine when plugged into my laptop. Tested a pair of working headphones as well and they work fine on other machines except for my desktop. Went through and uninstalled the sound driver and reinstalled the latest one, still no sound. Even removing the onboard sound driver data and installing the latest one directly from their website, still no sound. Went through my BIOS setup and turn the sound off and back on after a restart, still no sound. My father (a computer manager) mentioned that there could possibly be a blown fuse on the motherboard preventing the sound from working.

The only other thing that happened during my setup was that the plug for my surge protector was hit by me as i was moving about. My computer was on and in working order and when i hit the plug, it lost power to everything plugged in, however, it came back on without having to restart. My desktop display was still the same and everything was still working (besides my sound which wasn't working)

Second issue now. Shut down everything and wake up the next morning to find my computer wont turn on. Checked all the wires, all the plugs were in, the power switch on the back was turned on. No lights, no indication it was receiving power. My speakers, clock, and monitor plugged into the same surge protector as my desktop were still receiving power. Attempted different ports on the surge protector, still no power. Plugged directly into a working outlet, no power to my desktop.

After reading a different topic about my Power Issue, it seems to me that my power supply died (for whatever reason).

Now, I'm hoping that there might be some answers out there so any help would be appreciated.
    « Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 11:00:20 AM by NearPrefect »

Broni

Mastermind
    • Kraków my love :)
      • Computer Help Forum
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Sound and Power issues
    « Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 02:46:28 PM »
    Did you actually replace power supply, already?

NearPrefect

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 05:28:41 PM »
      Not yet, but I'm planning on doing so to test that out.

NearPrefect

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 12:31:13 PM »
        Ok, a techy friend of mine came over to have a look at my computer. Turns out, the battery on the motherboard came loose. So, popped it off, waited a few seconds, and then put it back on. Computer started up like nothing was wrong (though it did reload the default BIOS settings and somehow mistook what happened as a failed overclocking. Never tried to overclock my desktop at all.)

So anyway, what I'm probably going to do now is go and get a sound card for my desktop and see if that fixes the issue with the onboard sound of the motherboard not working (yet the drivers are recognized, and the device is "working properly")

Broni

Mastermind
        • Kraków my love :)
          • Computer Help Forum
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 12:45:22 PM »
        You may try to reinstall sound driver.