Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Exchange 2003 playing hide and seek  (Read 2755 times)

Cal

Topic Starter

Exchange 2003 playing hide and seek
    « on: September 09, 2008, 03:54:49 AM »
    I've got a site with 60+ users. Over the past two weeks 3 of them have become unable to connect to the exchange server through outlook. Everybody else is fine, but these three guys can't, although they can through Outlook Web mail.

I log them onto different PC's, recreate their accounts, delete their profiles and the problem persists. Basically if I load Outlook it immediately closes saying words to the effect of 'Can't see the Exchange Server'. However I can ask it to look up their user names and it finds them fine, so clearly there is connectivity with the server, just no email downloads. I've renewed all IP setting on the individual machines and can log on as myself and see my mail okay, but these three users can't.

My boss is now giving me grief and telling me to completely recreate their profiles. Does anyone have any ideas what else I could try before I take this drastic step, partly 'cos I think that this will keep happening.

Cheers

Cal

killerb255

Adviser
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Exchange 2003 playing hide and seek
      « Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »
      Is Outlook 2003 on SP3 on those three machines?

Do they have roaming profiles?  If so, have them log onto a different workstation (those with known good Outlooks).  If the problem persists, it's their roaming profiles.  Go with your boss' suggestion and rebuild them.  If the problem doesn't happen, then it's the PCs and has nothing to do with their profiles...
      Quote from: talontromper
      Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.