Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 computers, different video speed  (Read 2644 times)

mestinon

Topic Starter

Starter

2 computers, different video speed
    « on: September 01, 2008, 09:54:53 PM »
    So I edit videos on a daily basis with a desktop I put together awhile back. Its running 3.6g proc,1g ram, and nvid6800. I recently purchased a laptop. its specs are: 4g ram, dual core 2g, and nvid dedicated and its 64bit. The laptop is obviously faster. The problem is I compressed a movie down to about 76megs and on the old computer it runs perfectly, like always. I then transferred, using a flash drive, the movie to my laptop. I saved the file to the desktop. When I play the video its pretty jumpy. about every 45 seconds and it jumps, audio and video. Its consistant each time. iv tried deleting the file and putting it back on the laptop. and i have restarted the laptop. I don't understand why. I'm new to the whole 64 bit thing. If i made the movie on 32 bit comp and compressed it with a 32 bit program, would that somehow effect the file playing on a 64bit laptop? i mean i just don't understand what else it could be. both computers are running at peak performance, no background crap. If you have any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it. thank you so much :)

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: 2 computers, different video speed
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:00:38 PM »
    IMO 32 or 64 bit shouldn't matter.  But am wondering what format you have used . compression to WMV, MPEG - or whatever?

I am more inclined to think of available codecs on each machine - such that you may not have codec parity perhaps.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

mestinon

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
      wmv. thanks for the help bud :)

mestinon

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 10:10:34 PM »
        ya Its gotta be codec. Its just been so long since Iv delt with codecs. so I wouldnt know where to begin. im lookin up what I have though.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
          • ACB Systems
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:18:03 PM »
        For the ''slow'' machine (in vid play terms) - go search for codec paks - there are a few and make sure you have all the latest.  WMV is usually pretty easy but I have found some more recent ones want newer codecs.

A freebie - "AlShow" is quite a nice player and - if it is unhappy with what you load will go look for codecs.  I think too Win Media Player Classic can be found with a very handy codec bundle.
        Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

mestinon

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:23 PM »
          alright. Thank you so much for the advice. im almsot certain this will work. Just wanted to rule out some stuff.   ;D