Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics card replaced?  (Read 2505 times)

Texar10ic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Graphics card replaced?
    « on: September 01, 2008, 05:19:58 PM »
    Is there any way to tell if my graphics card has been replaced? I let a friend "fix" my computer problem I was having and now my computer is running much slower.

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Graphics card replaced?
    « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 05:44:40 PM »
    This won't help much but - I'd have thought if a card had been replaced your buddy would want some cash!  Or did you pay him anyways?

Numerous things could potentially slow things down - and so I'd ask him exactly what he did - then tell us here.
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Texar10ic

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 06:05:39 PM »
      He fixed the problem that I was unable to find out here. My laptop deskktop icons were all gone and I was only able to access anything thru the task manager. I think he simply reinstalled windows explorer.

What I meant was that he might have replaced my graphics card with one that is not as good as. No money was paid. I'm creating a logo for him and he fixed my problem.

My computer was never this slow. I did install a new McAfee Internet protector but I would assume that that wouldn't slow it down while I'm in Photoshop or a program.

Any ideas?

ChrisXPPro

Adviser

• Forever Learning
        • ACB Systems
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 06:10:35 PM »
      I remember your original problem.

Downgrading your graphics card would not be a welcome ''fix''!  I don't think McAfee should slow you down the way you describe.

Not at all sure what could be at the bottom of your troubles but - sounds like something is ''bottle-necking''.  I assume you still have all your RAM in place?!

You have no puter specs listed so - might be useful to know something about your machine - just in case - and whether the Explorer install was all that was done.  Explorer is part of Win anyways so not quite sure how he did a reinstall!.  ???

No ideas right now - let's see if others can think of something.
      Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

RayDude

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 09:58:50 AM »
        A laptop video card can't usually be changed. And even when it can, the card that came out would only work in exactly the same model laptop.

I doubt he took your video card.

As Chris pointed out, its more likely he swapped RAM. Right click "My Computer" (its in the start menu if its not on your desktop) and choose properties. Select the general tab, see how much memory you have, and then look at your original receipt and see if it matches.

Anti Virus programs can make your system slower because they typically sniff every byte of data that is moving around the system. They sniff all network transactions, every file you or the system touches. I suggest you remove it and see if the speed returns. If it does you have your culprit.

I run AVG on my Windows PCs, as an individual you can get it for free: http://free.avg.com

In my experience, AVG does not steal as many resources as Norton or McAfee.

You can also see how much memory McAfee is taking by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (once) and choosing the Task Manager. Then look on the processes tab and see how much memory its taking. On my Virtual Machine here at work McAfee is only taking a few megs.

You should also consider that McAfee might be running an automated scan, that will severely slow down even the fastest of computers. You should be able to check that status by hovering the cursor over the McAfee icon on the right side of the task bar.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:02:49 PM »
        What did he say he did to "fix" this machine ? ?
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "