Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: A Question for the Gurus!!  (Read 2987 times)

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
    • ACB Systems
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Experienced
A Question for the Gurus!!
« on: September 01, 2008, 10:37:49 PM »
Computer house-keeping for Windows?

What are your recommendations ....... over and above shall we say, defrag regularly?  I haven't looked for a thread on this, so apologies if it exists.

What do folk's consider worth doing to clear out junk and keep things up to speed.  I use CCleaner weekly - usually to trash empty reg entries but - what  else is deemed worthy of regular attention?  I generally reckon that defrag and keeping registry free of pollution is about the main deal but - what else, if anything, is worth a check every week or so?
Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: A Question for the Gurus!!
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 11:45:53 PM »

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 02:15:11 AM »
Carbon, while that's not a bad idea, it's not exactly weekly maintenance - I wouldn't check my temperatures and place fans by my computer once a week to see if it ran faster.
Chris - my maintenance is defrag with JKDefrag, CCleaner to clean junk files and the registry, NTREGOPT to optimize my registry, and Bootvis to keep the boot time low.
Some people will doubtless disagree, but I've personally found this to be the best combination of tools, along with security, to keep my PC in good shape.

alan1000

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 02:26:58 AM »
    Thirteen things you can do to keep your computer fit!

Assuming there is nothing much wrong with your computer system except neglect,
    the following thirteen steps should help to perk things up...

1. Run a registry defragmenter.
    2. Run a registry cleaner.
    3. Optimise the primary hard drive. (Don't just defrag:  optimise properly).
    4. Check memory usage - upgrade if necessary.
    5. Check hard drive usage - aim to have at least 25% free. (Run Disk Cleanup, uninstal unwanted software, delete old restore points).
    6. Run virus/malware scans.
    7. Prune the Windows Start List back to essentials.
    8. Instal all available updates.
    9. Move the system pagefile to a different physical drive.
    10. Disable unnecessary background services.
    11. Reduce the number of accessories attached to the computer.
    12. Disable unnecessary visual effects (scrolling or fading menus,animated windows etc).
    13. If you don't spend a lot of time searching for files, disable the Windows File Indexing utility.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 02:48:03 AM »
    Carbon, while that's not a bad idea, it's not exactly weekly maintenance - I wouldn't check my temperatures and place fans by my computer once a week to see if it ran faster.
    You're right. Also, I creating Restore Points and backing up the registry isn't necessarily a weekly job. I do them before I do something big like install a game or something.
    Also, the Startup Items should only need to be viewed once.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    « Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 02:49:41 AM »
    3. Optimise the primary hard drive. (Don't just defrag:  optimise properly).
    Good point that I added to my guide.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,62253.msg395333.html#msg395333

ChrisXPPro

Topic Starter

Adviser

• Forever Learning
      • ACB Systems
    « Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:46:52 AM »
    Thx guys - always good to know what other folks consider useful.  :)
    Ain't technology great - until it goes wrong!

Chir6

Rookie
      • Yes
      • RepairStar
    « Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:19 PM »
    Funny you should ask such a coincidental question!  There is only one free program that does it all for Windows based computers.  You need to go and check out the recommendation here [link removed -Zylstra].  It is special because it is antivirus antispyware windows update defrag backup full time monitor defense for your ENTIRE home workgroup.   Alot of people say their piece about this solution, but they are just part of the problem.  IMHO.

Highly recommended that you check it out

Moderator note:
    We dont mind links to OneCare, even though there are better free alternatives, however, we do not want affiliate programs running on CH. That would be considered SPAM.
    « Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:20:17 PM by Zylstra »

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    « Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 02:25:50 PM »
    Funny you should ask such a coincidental question!  There is only one free program that does it all for Windows based computers.  You need to go and check out the recommendation here [link removed -Zylstra].  It is special because it is antivirus antispyware windows update defrag backup full time monitor defense for your ENTIRE home workgroup.   Alot of people say their piece about this solution, but they are just part of the problem.  IMHO.

Highly recommended that you check it out

Moderator note:
    We dont mind links to OneCare, even though there are better free alternatives, however, we do not want affiliate programs running on CH. That would be considered SPAM.
    The only thing driving you to posting that link is the fact that you make money each time someone clicks it.
    Its a good idea that you realize that one piece of software alone will not fix an issue. There are free automated tools available. OneCare is a trial program.

On ComputerHope, we don't allow affiliate programs to be posted. We only allow users who contribute to the forums (for a period of time) to link back to their own sites.

Please stop posting to your affiliate link site.