Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Moving files  (Read 2068 times)

bluez956

Topic Starter

Moving files
    « on: September 10, 2008, 10:10:35 PM »
    My system has (2) hard drives.  Is there a way to move files from
    one hard drive to the other?  As of yet, I haven't figured out how.

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
      • Yes
      • Technology News and Information
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Moving files
    « Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:31:26 PM »
    For most non-system files, copying and pasting should work. If you are looking to create an exact copy, thats a different story.

What are you looking to do?

bluez956

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 01:56:27 AM »
      My C: drive is running out of space.  Consequently, many programs will not
      function due to low memory space.  My plan is to hopefully transfer all of the
      data files to the other hard drive, re-format the C: drive, and then reload the
      operating system and programs.  Once that is completed the C: drive will contain only software files.  There is one thing that could be a problem, the C:
      drive is a FAT32 file system, while the secondary drive is an NTSF file system.

Is that my problem?

Zylstra

• Hacker

• The Techinator!
        • Yes
        • Technology News and Information
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 04:55:28 PM »
      What operating system are you using? If its 2000 or higher, then you would want to use NTFS, however, transferring files using a disk image program that I describe and link to below while on an FAT32 system will not work.

If there is nothing on the drive formatted as an NTFS file, go ahead and right click it in My Computer, and go to "Format" and select FAT32.
      If the drive has an operating system on it, you could just start up the old drive as a secondary drive, so you can still access the data on it.

http://selfimage.excelcia.org/
      This disk image program makes a direct copy of your disk on a drive, or copies it to a file.
      I have never personally used it, so, what I am telling you is based off what little I have read:
      When you install and run the program, check "Drive" for the Input device, and specify the drive C:. Make sure Processing is set to "None". On Output, select Drive as well, and the new drive.