Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Microsoft 2007 issue  (Read 2474 times)

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

Microsoft 2007 issue
    « on: September 01, 2008, 09:03:24 AM »
    Hello

Firstly apologies if this has been covered elsewhere (I did search) and if I have posted in the wrong place.

At work we are using an Oracle database with Access as the front end.  We were all using this with Access 2000 with no problem at all but since some of us have moved to Access 2007 the databse has slowed dramatically.  It is read only in Access.

The only thing I have discovered that didn't happen before in 2000 is the actual fromend .mdb file grows in size whereas this didn't happen with 2000.  Does anyone know of anything that could cause this that we could turn off?

Thanks.
    That's just the way it is

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: Microsoft 2007 issue
      « Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 09:18:23 AM »
      Also, just for info.

The database is opened by many users.  Some will be using 2007, some will be using 2000, there could even be 2003 users.  Ciuld this cause problems?

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 09:37:23 AM »
        It is read only in Access.
      Does that apply to all users?  Everyone viewing the database with any version of Access have read-only access?

The only thing I have discovered that didn't happen before in 2000 is the actual fromend .mdb file grows in size whereas this didn't happen with 2000. 
      I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "file grows in size".  Can you explain further, with details?

... since some of us have moved to Access 2007 the databse has slowed dramatically.
      Is the database now slower when only Access 2000 users are accessing it?  Is the responsive practically the same, regardless of which version of Access is being used to access the database?

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 09:48:05 AM »
        Thanks for replying.

Yes all users are read only regardless.

The file size should not really grow much.  The oracle DB is written too throughout the day but the front end should not really grow that much and especially not modified.  The date modified updates constantly and the file size grows at a constant rate.  The access DB is really just a few forms with linked ODBC tables.  There are no actual tables exclusively in Access.  My understanding is that the file size (ie the .mdb) would only be the size of the Access DB and not include the size of linked tables. (I could be wrong).  If this is the case the .mdb should really stay the same size.

Access 2000 users do not notice that mush change.  It has slowed down of late but nowhere near as much as 2007 users.

soybean

Genius
        « Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 10:19:56 AM »
        Is Access 2007, the default file format can be changed from Access 2007 to Access 2000 or Access 2002-2003.  I'm just guessing here but I wonder whether changing your default file format, if not already changed, would improve the situation.

ash72

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »
          Thanks, I'll give that a go.  Would I need to change this on everyones PC?

soybean

Genius
          « Reply #6 on: September 01, 2008, 10:23:17 AM »
          Yes, all PC's with Access 2007 that access that database.

killerb255

Adviser
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 08:32:01 PM »
            Agrees with soybean.

Access 2007 defaults to .accdb.  It only has legacy support for .mdb.
            Quote from: talontromper
            Part of the problem is most people don't generally deal with computer problems. So for most they think that close enough is good enough.