Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: File sharing between a PC and a Mac ???  (Read 6220 times)

kingjaydub

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    File sharing between a PC and a Mac ???
    « on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:47 PM »
    I have a network setup in my house with 3 PCs and I just got a MacBook Pro and I’m wondering, how do I file share between the PCs and the Mac?
    I was reading some articles online, but nothing seemed to really work. I want to be able to share a folder on the network, just like you do on a PC. I can get my PCs to see my Mac on the network, but not the files I want to share. I have tried so many different things that I don’t even know where to start.
    On a PC it’s as simple as right clicking on the folder you want to share and clicking on “share this folder”.
    This is my first Mac, so bare with me.
    I would appreciate any help you can give me.
    Thanks in advance.
    ...jay...

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
      Re: File sharing between a PC and a Mac ???
      « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 02:48:05 PM »
      Sharing your Mac's files are really simple.

Go into your System Preferences - Click the Sharing folder (under Internet & Networking):

Make sure file sharing is ticked in the left hand column, and click on that section to select it
      Under 'Shared Folders' click on your account and then choose 'Options' in the bottom right
      Tick the option for sharing using SMB, and make sure your account is ticked in the lower box.
      Click 'Done'

On a Mac you can right click any folder/file you want to share, choose 'Get Info' and under the 'General' section tick the 'Shared Folder' box - voila you have now shared your folders with a Windows PC.

Bare in mind firewalls may play a part in access issues.

A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

bredindo

Re: File sharing between a PC and a Mac ???
      « Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:25:58 PM »
      On the Mac under system prefs>sharing>tick windows sharing. Then have a sharing folder on your desktop>name it so that Windows can find it.
      You will find that it is easier to do on the Mac than it is on Windows.
      More details here
      guides.macrumors.com/Networking_Windows_with_Mac_OS_X