Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: E-Mail strange prob  (Read 7196 times)

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

E-Mail strange prob
    « on: September 06, 2008, 06:39:17 AM »
    Hello Have a customer here using XP, OE6 and BT internet,

Simple problem really (not)

When trying to forward an E-Mail which has an attachment (the attachment is a .eml with a picture)

I get this as an error

Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Fw: JOHN THE BAPTIST  ', Account: 'mail.btinternet.com', Server: 'mail.btinternet.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I visited that site mentioned http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html but that makes no sense to me and nothing is mentioned about OE6

I can send the E-Mail with that attachment with Googlemail, Thunderbird and even Outlook 2002 but they all display garbage as the attachment!!!! please help!!!

stevejohnson1958

Re: E-Mail strange prob
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 06:51:33 AM »
    The first thing I'd do is visit Windows Update to see if there are any "high-priority" updates that need to be installed on your friends computer.

If you're still having the same problem, you may want to read this:  Microsoft Knowledge Base Article:  312355

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 06:56:41 AM »
      Thank you for swift reply

No luck though (tried both)

strange thing is if i save the .eml from the Email her friend sent her.

Then Double click the .eml file i get OE6 come up then i can forward sucessfully but not if i click forward from the email with the attached .eml

(as if having two attached emails is too much)

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 07:09:07 AM »
      The problem you may be experiencing is probably due to how the email was originally sent/attached.

If you can open the .eml file in OLE, can you save it, then attach it again via another email?  If so, do you still experience the same problem?

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 07:12:14 AM »
        what I do is save the attachment in My Docs, then open it directly (Double click on the icon) then a small OE6 window opens And i can sucessfully forward the Email (no errors)

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 07:13:38 AM »
        I'm not sure (I don't have experience with Outlook) but you mentioned:
        (as if having two attached emails is too much)

Could it be the file is too big or something or the person receiving the email doesn't have enough space?

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 07:19:08 AM »
        Try this....

Create a new email message and attach the file you saved in "My Documents".  Then, send it to yourself.  Just to test.

Same problem?

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 07:25:19 AM »
          Yes same prob only works if clicking on the .eml icon directly from an explorer window

stevejohnson1958

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 07:32:33 AM »
          If you're able to read the attachment with OE6, this means the file type (.eml) is associated with the email client you're using...and able to understand/read its contents.

If you're having a problem reading the file using another email client, then, apparently, those email clients do not have that file type associated with the program itself.

You'll need to check the file type permissions within each of those programs to see if they can handle the file...

If they can, then you need to adjust the email client's settings accordingly.

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
            File assications are okay prob is sending them Poor woman is 82 and thinks this is her fault

Saviour

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 12:28:17 PM »
            Let me get this straight...

If she tries to forward the email along with the attachment, she gets timed out...and receives the error message you have already listed, correct?

Does she include a reply when she forwards it...or does she just forward it, as-is?

If she can forward it...and the person on the other end can't read the email, then their email client doesn't have the appropriate file permissions set for that particular file type.

Are you troubleshooting this from her machine...or yours?

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 01:46:56 PM »
              Sorry this is all on her PC Running XP (SP3!) OE6 there is no time-out just that msg does not matter if reply included or not Can only forward if the original attachment is saved to disk (Desktop, My Docs c: etc) then that .eml file is double clicked on (invokes OE6 compose screen) and the a recipient can be typed in and the message successfully sent and received)

If I use Googlemail (web mail), or thunderbird or Outlook 2002 the E-Mail sends (no error msg but the recipient cannot see the message (just gets junk)

Saviour

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 01:49:52 PM »
              Got me...

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 01:54:16 PM »
                Yeah it's a good one thinking OE6 corrupt or E-Mail server corrupt! Might be getting a few calls from BT Internet customers soon... Will also look at BT internet forums in next few days.

Saviour

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 01:55:43 PM »
                Sorry I could not have been more help...

David McMahon1982

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
                  Most problems are easy when youknow how and difficult when not, hope to find the answer soon and will report here WHEN!! I do lol

Thanks bud