Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: External Hard Drive - Drive Letter Changed  (Read 2327 times)

MissPip

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

External Hard Drive - Drive Letter Changed
    « on: September 06, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
    Is there any way to keep the same drive letter (in this case, E) for my external hard drive?  I plugged a printer into my laptop yesterday, and how my EHD has become drive F. Now none of my shortcuts or file locations work any more.  The EHD is a plug-and-play device connected via a USB port.

1) Can I change it back to E somehow?
    2) Can I set it so that it will always be drive E?

I've tried removing the printer and the hard drive, then rebooting with just the hard drive.
    I've tried uninstalling the hard drive via device manager, reconnecting and rebooting.  It still says F.

My next thought is to do a system restore back a couple days, but even if I do this, I'd like to know if there is a way to permanently assign drive E to this device.

Thank you!!
    I'm such a big geek.  And a girl.  A big, geeky girl.

MissPip

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: External Hard Drive - Drive Letter Changed
      « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:04:07 PM »
      Well, it looks like I may have solved my own problem:

START --> Control Panel  --> Administrative Tools  --> Computer Management.

In the left pane, expand Storage, and then choose Disk Management.  Select the external hard drive and from the right-click menu, select Change Driver Letter and Paths.  Select the drive, click the Change button, and then change the letter in the drop-down box.
      I'm such a big geek.  And a girl.  A big, geeky girl.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      Re: External Hard Drive - Drive Letter Changed
      « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 07:16:06 AM »
      To have it retain the drive letter even if more drives/devices are added give it a Volume Label as well in the Disk Management window...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "