Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: EXCEL crashing on resize command  (Read 1996 times)

now.what?

Topic Starter

EXCEL crashing on resize command
    « on: September 06, 2008, 10:51:21 PM »
    Hi, all. I'm new to the site and I hope I am following the rules correctly to ask for help with my problem.

Here it is: The following message has started appearing when, in EXCEL, I try to change the % size view of the spreadsheet I am working on.

THE ERROR MESSAGE: "The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\1033dwintl.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette."

After several clicks on "OK" the error message disappears, EXCEL closes, and I am sent back out to my desktop as though I had never opened the file or the program. I can relaunch EXCEL with no problem, and do what I want, but if I try to change that % size-- BOOM! back out to the desktop! I don't know how to "...check this against [the] installation diskette.", and the error message doesn't say how to, either.

(I am running Office 2000 Premium and I have all the latest updates from the Microsoft site as well as a clean system thanks to Kaspersky. My "Help" files disappeared recently so I reloaded OFFICE and that had no effect on this problem.)

What's going on here?

Thank you.

alan1000

Rookie

Re: EXCEL crashing on resize command
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 02:45:40 AM »
      Probably, your copy of 1033dwintl.dll is corrupted or else you have a version which is not compatible with your version of Office.

If you have the installation disc, pop it in and see whether it offers an option to repair an existing installation (not guaranteed to work though!).  Alternatively, try googling "download 1033dwintl.dll" to find a site where you can download a new copy, and save it to your System32 folder.  (Don't pay for it - there are sites which let you download it free).

alan1000

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 02:49:29 AM »
        I should have asked, what version of Windows are you running?  Because if you download the file, it will be the Windows XP version for sure, and if you are running Windows 95/98/Me, it won't work.

now.what?

Topic Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:08:54 PM »
          I am using XP, so hopefully the download you suggested will work. I'm going to Google around for that file now. Thank you.