Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PS2 Problem Ugernt!!!!!!  (Read 13376 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

PS2 Problem Ugernt!!!!!!
    « on: September 07, 2008, 05:11:02 AM »
    Okay I just replaced the laser cable an everything seemed fine up till I done that.  It tries an reads the disc an says it cant find anything.  So I looked at it an the track the laser is on is having problems.  I tighten an loosened the screw but the motor on the rack spins an the laser doesnt really move. 
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Re: PS2 Problem Ugernt!!!!!!
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 06:20:46 AM »
      I said I need help.........  If anyone cant tell I just got shocked a while ago......  I cleaned the junk off of it but its still buzzing like the theet arent connecting but when I set it to the back it pulls it to the middle okay.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 06:32:56 AM »
      So have started many topics on different issues that sound the same so I'm just going to start throwing questions in.

Okay I just replaced the laser cable an everything seemed fine up till I done that.
      Is it the one Patio told you to replace because it was damaged or something?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 06:38:51 AM »
        I dont think so, dang I dont remember an I still have a bit of current running threw my arm.   At any rate the cable was cracked at the other end where it connected to the board so I figure thats the problem which it is but I need to fix this to get it to completely work.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 06:50:04 AM »
        I do have one question I would like answering.....how did you get shocked?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 06:55:17 AM »
          I removed the hd bracket to tighten the screw for the bottom where the theeth lay on the motor of the track an I turned it on an wanted to see if I couldnt get any feed from the disk an grabed the PSU when it was open to try an connect the red,yellow,white cable end.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          « Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 07:02:21 AM »
          Ouch..... Anyways....
          I tighten an loosened the screw but the motor on the rack spins an the laser doesnt really move. 
          The motor that moves the laser doesn't work?

Honestly Squall, I would replace it.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 07:09:33 AM »
            no, it just hangs up an grinds like if you try an start a car an the battery is dead.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 07:12:10 AM »
            So......

Move the laser all the way out (away from the CD Motor)
            Turn the PS2 on and the laser will move to the middle and make a grinding sound.
            Then the motor that turns the CD turns a bit and then stops.
            Then the laser turns on, and then off. Right?

If this happens when the CD is in the drive, then it cannot see the CD (as you said), possible because of that damaged cable.

Saviour

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2008, 07:21:56 AM »
            Better yet...take it to a repair shop.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »
              Exatly, I dont know for sure if the pc repair shop does this work an I dont know of any other local areas.

Saviour

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2008, 07:29:30 AM »
              squall_01...

I don't know how old the unit is, but if it is under warranty...you just voided that warranty, by tinkering with it yourself.  Best left to those who know what they're doing...if you know what I mean.

So...what may have cost you nothing...is now going to cost you.  Make sense?

If you don't know what you're doing...why even bother...you'll just make it worse.

Go to Sony's website and search for an authorized repair center in your area and make an inquiry as to their labor rates.  As far as parts go...you won't know what that'll cost until a tech performs diagnostics and provides an estimate.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2008, 07:59:51 AM »
                Didnt know you could do that, its so old the warrenty probably ran out.  I only spent 14.00 its a two hundred dollar system its self plus.  I did mail them an will see just wanted a quick easy way.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #13 on: September 07, 2008, 09:17:45 AM »
                This is probably why it was $14.00...
                You could have used that money to get some brand new re-chargeable batteries you're still trying to fix in your other thread or bought a brand new IDE cable that you broke in yet another thread....

See how this works ? ?
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Saviour

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2008, 09:20:02 AM »
                Stands to reason then...that you should let the "big boys" fix it...instead of tinkering with it yourself.

Honestly, squall_01...I really can't say you have that "Midas Touch". ;D