Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: What is card?  (Read 5907 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

What is card?
    « on: September 07, 2008, 08:04:31 AM »
    I got these from an old system I pulled out.  Not sure what there really are.  This seems like an hd connector http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk403/squall_131/DSC00783.jpg

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk403/squall_131/DSC00781.jpg

not sure about these.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

diablo416

Hopeful
      Re: What is card?
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 10:59:50 PM »
      the first one, embedded bios support for bus master IDE

"increase the overall system performance without sacrificing the limited base memory The amount of RAM that comes with each model of a particular computer. The base memory can usually be ugraded to a significantly higher amount. For example, a desktop machine with 64MB might be upgradable to 768MB. of the PC."

(i think)

Not sure about the second one either, but if it has a input that looks similar to s-video i think its used for diagnostics

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
        Well I was in a hurry to get these up.  At least I now what it is know.  So in other words.  It allows more ram an an extra drive?  Or something.
        Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »
          Any one else?

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • Yes
          • Certifications: List
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 03:16:33 AM »
          They look old....the website doesn't exist anymore....

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 11:04:55 AM »
            They are, so theres nothing on them.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • Yes
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 03:03:17 AM »
            They are, so theres nothing on them.

Oh......My bad.

Perhaps it has been replaced?

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 05:05:01 AM »
              So someone has something on them??????

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:23:34 AM »
                These had come out of a 486 so not sure if there are anything on them any more ether.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                • Experience: Beginner
                « Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 05:42:15 AM »
                What the heck do you mean "they had something on them"? ?

" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 09:08:37 AM »
                  Not sure I know what the one card is.  I ment to post back on it but couldnt find my post on this.  I wonder why?  Its an hd controller card, I got a complete 486 an the one I got it out of had come from that.  Not sure what the second card is off hand since the pc gave me no clues.  Its a gateway 2000 if that helps any from where I got it.  I'll try an get the books an stuff to it latter.  I realized we pitched them the other day while cleaning at my dads work area.

patio

• Genius
                  • Maud' Dib
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #11 on: September 13, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »
                  I highly doubt either one was original equipment in the Gateway so that may be a waste of time...
                  " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 05:57:10 AM »
                    There where about three all custome made like that.   ;)  I have the paper work an two of them.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
                      • Yes
                      • Yes
                      • BC-Programming.com
                    • Computer: Specs
                    « Reply #13 on: September 14, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »

first one looks like an IDE controller card.

second one might be a in-place BIOS flash that enables older BIOS chips to support larger capacity hard drives.
                    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2008, 05:00:29 AM »
                      your correct about the first one.   :P  The second one is a good gusse from what I know about it which is less then the first one know.