Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: System restores  (Read 6392 times)

ThrowingShapes

Topic Starter

Beginner

System restores
    « on: September 07, 2008, 03:26:23 PM »
    I recently had problems with my vista software and I was told a system restore would probably solve them.  Something was wrong in my .net framework files that was causing windows applications to stop working.  The only issue I have now is that nobody could explain the process of how to go about doing a system restore on that forum, and hopefully I can get some help here.  I looked around on google but couldn't seem to figure out what I needed to be doing.  Can doing a system restore cause my computer to stop working if done incorrectly?

I'm using windows vista and if anybody could explain to me how to do a system restore safely I would really appreciate it.

Saviour

Re: System restores
    « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 03:33:05 PM »
    Everything you need to know:  System Restore:  Frequently Asked Questions

ThrowingShapes

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 03:41:13 PM »
      I guess I should also ask if there's a way to go back more than a few weeks because mine only shows a restore point back as far as 8-22

If not is there a way for me to completely remove my .netframework and then reinstall it?  I tried using the add/remove programs and reinstalling but it continued to give me errors.

Saviour

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 03:45:15 PM »
      Restore points only go back so far...based on the amount of space you have allocated for restore points.

If you can't go back any further...then that's pretty much as far as you can go.

All of that is covered in the link I sent you.

ThrowingShapes

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:31:26 PM »
        If not is there a way for me to completely remove my .netframework and then reinstall it?  I tried using the add/remove programs and reinstalling but it continued to give me errors.

Saviour

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 04:38:31 PM »
        What version?

ThrowingShapes

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2008, 04:44:19 PM »
          I don't really know because when I tried to remove it through add/remove programs it's off the list, but when I try to update to the latest one (3.5?) it gives me an error saying I already have a version. 

I'll try all of the reinstalls again once I'm at home and get the specific errors it gives me and then report back.

Thanks for all the help and fast replies.

Saviour

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2008, 04:49:38 PM »
          You're welcome...

We'll be here for ya!

Broni

Mastermind
          • Kraków my love :)
            • Computer Help Forum
          • Computer: Specs
          • Experience: Experienced
          « Reply #8 on: September 07, 2008, 05:48:14 PM »
          Automated cleanup tool to remove the .NET Framework 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2006/05/30/611355.aspx

ThrowingShapes

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2008, 11:50:47 AM »
            Sorry for the late reply,

I used the link you sent me to remove all .net framework files and tried to install 3.5.  The download worked but when the installation starts vista says the program has stopped working and all the downloaded files will be removed.

I noticed on the download site that 3.5 builds incrementally on some of the other .net frameworks, does this mean I need to install those before trying to download 3.5?

By the way, the error log says this:
            [06/16/08,22:33:31] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1
            [06/16/08,22:33:37] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.
            [07/28/08,09:00:02] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1
            [07/28/08,09:00:07] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.
            [07/29/08,08:52:21] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1
            [07/29/08,08:52:26] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.
            [09/14/08,13:47:10] Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS): [2] Error: Installation failed for component Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS). MSI returned error code 1
            [09/14/08,13:47:15] WapUI: [2] DepCheck indicates Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0SP1 (CBS) is not installed.

Edit:
            I tried to install 2.0 but it says it is already installed as part of my operating system (vista).  Even after I used that clean-up tool?  :-\
            Then I tried to install 3.0 and after it goes through th setting up parts it says not all files were installed correctly.
            « Last Edit: September 14, 2008, 12:02:08 PM by ThrowingShapes »

Broni

Mastermind
              • Computer Help Forum
            « Reply #10 on: September 14, 2008, 12:09:03 PM »
            I noticed on the download site that 3.5 builds incrementally on some of the other .net frameworks, does this mean I need to install those before trying to download 3.5?
            This is simply not true. NET versions install alongside each other.
            Basically, you even don't need NET to be installed, until some program specifically asks for it.
            Your error...
            Strangely enough, this site:
            http://www.doctordeploy.com/msi-error-codes-t418.html
            doesn't even list error code 1
            I'm also not sure why NET 3.5 would create some NET 2.0 errors.
            Bad download?

ThrowingShapes

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »
              I'm not sure where else to download from, I just typed in .net framework download in on google and it directed me from there. 

I'm just trying to get my zune software working so I can update my songs.  Almost wish I would've bought an ipod instead now.

Broni

Mastermind
                • Computer Help Forum
              « Reply #12 on: September 14, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
              You can get NET only from M$ site, but try to re-download it.