Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop speakers  (Read 2419 times)

shanemoss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Laptop speakers
    « on: September 07, 2008, 03:57:04 PM »
    Hello all, great site!
        I hope i am posting this in the right place but i need some help with speakers for a laptop. Is is possible to buy speakers with a lot of bass for my house that will plug in and play all the files from my laptop? I have seen the adds for bose speakers and such but i dont know if it is what i want. What i need is a speaker that will plug in my laptop and ROCK! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help.......shane

shanemoss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: Laptop speakers
      « Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 04:01:39 PM »
      Forgot to add that i'm sure i will need powered speakers but powered or not is fine...thanks again...shane

Saviour

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 04:08:32 PM »
      The sound you get from your speakers is based on the sound chip/card installed on your computer.

So...if you have a crappy sound chip/card...you'll hear crap from the speakers.  The speakers don't play the music...it depends on the quality of the files and what's behind the scenes.  This also includes what you used to create the audio files (optical drive) and the type of music file it is...e.g., mp3 as opposed to .wav.

So...before you go invest a lot of money in speakers...we need to know a little bit more about the sound chip on your laptop.

shanemoss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 04:17:44 PM »
        I have no idea what i have ???  All i know is when watching a movie or playing music it sucks..lol. I will find out what i have tonight and post it. Thanks for the reply....shane

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • Yes
        • Certifications: List
        • Experience: Guru
        « Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 03:23:26 AM »
        Are you just looking for a better pair of speakers? (more or less)

rodel_odz

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 04:36:23 AM »
        you can buy any kind of speaker as long as your laptop have an audio card because if your laptop do not have audio card, your speaker is useless..

shanemoss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »
          I dont have a clue as to what my audio card is nor do i have a clue as to how to find out. I was wanting some loud maybe surround sound speakers for this laptop. I have my desktop hooked to my stereo and it works great. I might have to take it to someone to find out what i got? Thanks for the replys.
          P.S. This site is great! I sat up reading for a while last night and learned a whole lot! Gonna do it again tonight! Thanks again.....shane

Saviour

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »
          Shane,

Go into your Device Manger through Control Panel/System.  Click the "+" sign next to "Sound..." and you should see what your laptop has as far as a sound chip goes.

If you're looking to find a nice setup as far as speakers go, surround sound included, you'll have to know if your chip supports it...or it's a waste.

If you have an audio program installed, you can find out there as well, by opening that program and seeing what the default hardware is on your laptop for playback/recording.

Also, within that program, you should be able to note in the speaker testing aspect of the program, whether or not it has a test for surround sound speakers...as well as a sub woofer.

Along with this info...and a budget...I'm sure someone will be able to make a better recommendation to you, other than..."yeah...these are great...you should try these!"

shanemoss

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 05:29:06 PM »
            Saviour,
               When i follow your directions, this is what comes up: "IDT High DefInition Audio CODEC". Is that correct?

Saviour

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 06:02:24 PM »
            Tell ya what...

Post the manufacturer and model number of your laptop for us, okay?  We'll go from there.  Also, what operating system is installed on the laptop?