Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Error Message: windows root system32 ntoskrnl.exe I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING :(  (Read 9686 times)

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Hello all,

I need some major help. The power shorted last night and this morning when I tried to start up my Dell Latitude I got the error message windows cannot start because the file is missing or corrupted "windows root system32 ntoskrnl.exe" please reinstall. So the first thing I tried was just to reinstall windows, which I have done before, and this was the process I used

Turn on-f12-boot from disc-press any key-press R for Repair...then it takes me to the "which windows installation would you like to log into?" I press 1 which is C:/Windows. Nothing happens so I press enter. Then the C:/Windows thing pops up and I can type things next to it...commands I assume. But what in Gods name do I type?!

Now at this point I'm desperate. So I try restarting the same way...booting from the disc only this time I don't choose the R for repair, instead I try the "set up windows xp now press enter" and then f8 to agree to the terms then it says "the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartioned space. to set up wondows xp on the selected item press enter, to create a partition in the unpartioned space press c. to delete selected partition press d." The only selected option I have is C: Partition (NTFS) 38i54 MB <35382 MB free>

What do I do here? Everything I try warns me that it's not reccomended to do! Also, I've tried opening in safemode...doesn't work. I've tried going to the last known good config. doesnt work.

Can someone please please help me? I've scoured the internet and no one is hitting the same roadblocks as me!!

Thanks in advance

JJ 3000

Egghead
    • Experience: Familiar
    Re: Error Message: windows root system32 ntoskrnl.exe I'VE TRIED EVERYTHING :(
    « Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
    If you install a new copy of XP on your hard drive you will lose all of your data.
    If you have everything you want to save backed up or just don't care about losing those files then you do a clean install by:

1. Delete partitions
    2. Create a partition
    3. Format your partition
    Save a Life!
    Adopt a homeless pet.
    http://www.petfinder.com/

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »
      I don't have any of my files backed up (stupid I know) and the very very last resort (before buying a new computer, basically) would be to lose all my my data but I'd really like to avoid that If I can.

Neketh

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 07:07:22 PM »
        could you boot from a recovery disk to save your data then reload windows?

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:37:43 PM »
          I'm not 100% sure what a recovery disc is. The only discs I have are whatever came with the computer when I bought it. I've just been trying to use the XP Operating Disc.

Is there another way around the ways I have mentioned to do a repair? Maybe type something in the command part? Also I remember once going into the last known good config. and I was able to choose a date (for example I could choose September 1st, because it was working fine then). If I could just get into my files and save them I would redo the whole *censored* thing without worrying about losing anything, you know?

Thanks for all your help so far though, I really appreciate it.

JJ 3000

Egghead
          « Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 07:44:24 PM »

Turn on-f12-boot from disc-press any key-press R for Repair...then it takes me to the "which windows installation would you like to log into?" I press 1 which is C:/Windows. Nothing happens so I press enter. Then the C:/Windows thing pops up and I can type things next to it...commands I assume. But what in Gods name do I type?!

The first thing you should try here is :

chkdsk

Type that in and press enter. This will run the checkdisk utility
          Save a Life!
          Adopt a homeless pet.

Neketh

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
            Because a file is now missing windows restore option will not work when faced with a similar problem I used the following method to recover my data but it does require a second computer and fiddling with a screwdriver. As your hard drive seems to be working you could remove it from the dell place it in another computer as a slave drive copy the data onto a CD, once you have saved your data put the hard drive back into the dell (as the master drive) do a complete reinstall of windows including repartitioning and formatting load all other programs that you require. Then reload your data from the CD if you made one . If you stored the data on the second computer's hard drive and cannot transfer the data any other way reinstall your dell hard drive back as a slave copy your files back then reinstall back into the dell. Long winded but it will save your data Next time you may make a backup copy of your data.

Neketh

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2008, 07:58:31 PM »
              Running chkdsk will probably show some faults on your hard drive but will not help save your data which is your priority. I would run chkdsk after recovering your data so that any bad clusters get marked and not used to store information in the future.

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 12:46:37 PM »
                I've considered taking my hard drive out and putting into another computer but I really would have no clue what I would be doing and I don't want to mess up my parents computer. I'm not that computer savvy and I don't want to be responsible if anything goes wrong with theirs as well.

Looks like I'm going to be losing everything.

Neketh

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 04:49:56 PM »
                  Don't you ave anyone local to help you. Local computer club or enthusiast. Its not that hard to do. The main pain might be the connections. there are some adaptors on the market to use an IDE drive in the usb port with one of these opening your parents computer would not be needed.

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 10:45:19 PM »
                    Well I wiped out the whole thing  :-\

So basically I'm starting from scratch and lost, of course.

I have no idea how to set up the internet connection. I don't ever remember having to do this, I just plugged it in and I had internet. I have DSL not dialup and I feel really dumb because I cannot set it up. The screen looks a little wonky, kinda stretched out, I tried to fix the resolution but I only have 2 choices "more" or "less". I'm about to throw the *censored* thing in the garbage.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                    « Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 12:11:40 AM »
                    You need to install drivers.

It's not that hard 8)

Click Start then Run and type in devmgmt.msc
                    and press enter. This will take you to Device Manager. Here you see all of your hardware. If you see any yellow question marks or exclamation points (and I suspect you will) then you will need a driver for that device.

when you bought your Dell it should have came with a few disks. I know you have the operating system disk as you have now reinstalled Windows. One of those disks will be your drivers disk. It will probably say something like "Drivers and Utilities" or something similar on it.

Just place that disk in your CD drive and install all of the drivers that you need.

If you cant find your drivers disk, that's no problem :)
                    Just go to Dell's website, http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/index.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen, and enter your service tag (usually it's a sticker on the side of your machine).

All of the drivers you need should be here. Just download and run them.
                    If you cant access the internet from your computer then you will nee to use another one to download and then SAVE those files. Burn the drivers to a CD or use a flash drive to move them over to your computer and then install them.

After you have gotten all of those pesky question marks to leave your Device Manager the very next thing you should do is go to Windows Update and get all of the updates that are available for your computer. You will need to restart your computer a few times. Keep going back to Update until it finally stops finding any updates for your machine.

Then install the antivirus program of your choice and you should be good to go.

Good Luck
                    Save a Life!
                    Adopt a homeless pet.

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 01:05:31 PM »
                      Ok thank you so much.

I found my driver disc and I did what you said go to start-run and typed in what you said and saw all the yellow question marks but I couldn't do it from there, so I put the CD in and unzipped everything that had a checkmark next to it. Most worked, the only 2 I had a problem with was the chipset drivers and the audio device on high definition audio bus (not even sure if I needed that, but I did it). So the resoloution is still f-ed up, due to the chipset problem. Internet works and everything so i went to the Dell website that you gave me and tried to install the chipset. It says all files were successfully unzipped. Then it takes me to the installshield wizard and I begin to install...ok now it's asking me to restart which i will do now and then come back and tell you what happens then. Last time I tried it It ran into a problem, lets see if it still does.

eyecandy1126

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 01:24:37 PM »
                        Okay...ran into a problem there.

I restarted, and I hear a big BEEP (this beep has become the annoyance of my life thus far) A little box pops up saying "Files Needed" The file 'isapnp.sys' on windows xp professional cd 2. Type the path where the file is located and click ok. Naturally I have no idea what to type in or where to browse so I try clicking ok *BEEP* Then i try Cancel *BEEP*. So basically it won't leave me alone and also another one pops up, which I think is for the audio driver I tried but failed to install due to the "Files needed" box >:(

This is driving me insane, it's so simple yet I have roadblocks every step of the way.

I really appreciate all the help though.

JJ 3000

Egghead
                        « Reply #14 on: September 12, 2008, 12:53:53 AM »
                        The file 'isapnp.sys' on windows xp professional cd 2.

Do you have another CD for your computer?

The chipset driver should be on your driver CD.
                        What is your service tag #?

Go ahead and get all of your updates and install an antivirus program.
                        Save a Life!
                        Adopt a homeless pet.