Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dual Harddrive Windows Booting Possible Question pt 2  (Read 2648 times)

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

Dual Harddrive Windows Booting Possible Question pt 2
    « on: August 08, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
    I know that is possible to make a dual boot, but is there a way to have it on two differnt drives an select which one when it comes up?  I want to do this on another machine.  But not sure where to find  if my BIOS supports switching boot HDD's. I looked threw the manual its a Asus P3B-F Jumperfree ATX board.
    Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Dual Harddrive Windows Booting Possible Question pt 2
    « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 05:59:55 PM »
    ... but is there a way to have it on two differnt drives an select which one when it comes up?  But not sure where to find  if my BIOS supports switching boot HDD's.
    I can't say for sure but I'd bet your BIOS lets you change boot drives.  But, that's not the method implied in your previous comment.  If you set this up so that you can "select which one when it comes up", you're talking about a screen that appears during startup that gives you the option to choose which OS to boot.  That does not require accessing the BIOS; this screen appears after the point at which BIOS setup can be accessed.

You want to set this up so that you see a screen like Figure J at http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-6157570.html  If you want detailed instructions, I'll leave that to someone else.  But, you can find plenty of references such as the link I just posted if you do a search.

Carbon Dudeoxide

• Global Moderator

• Mastermind
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 07:58:37 PM »
    I saw an article about someone who has a computer with a switch next to the power button. Depending on where the switch is pointing, it can boot into XP, Ubuntu or Mac.
    Pretty cool.

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 08:17:11 PM »
      hmmm....  I dont know about interuoting the power like that.
      Windows 7 RC Tester.  Working on it.  Your monitor says etchasketch on the side!

If I fall who is there to pick me up now.  I stand alone but I stand as the gaurdian for whom I wish to protect.  The sound of my blade utters my name as you fall.  For I shall not move.  For those that forsake the very people are wosres

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: August 17, 2008, 10:33:22 AM »
      Find out if your BIOS supports switching boot drives...
      As Soybean pointed out this is the most trouble-free setup there is.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 10:25:22 AM »
        What would the bios say like if you can change your primary instead of automatic to be user or something.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 03:39:39 PM »
        Look in your MBoard manual to see if it supports it...
        Or the hard way put 2 drives with OS's installed in and Enter Setup at bootup and see if it can be switched...

squall_01

Topic Starter

Prodigy

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
          another good idea

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 01:27:36 PM »
          I'm just full of them lately...