Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can't connect to internet through IE^  (Read 3932 times)

scmartin

Can't connect to internet through IE^
« on: March 10, 2005, 09:43:15 AM »
On one pc I am fixing for a friend,I canot connect to the internet through IE6. I can connect through the CompuServe PPPoE client and can connect to AOL, but can only browse the web from Compuserve. WinXP Home/SP2 installed. I can release and renew my ip from my router and have dns resolution when pinging Yahoo.com. I can browse and attach to a local network share on my server as admin.
Firefox when downloaded and installed did not work either. Originally I could not repair tcp/ip from the command line using netsh init ip repair and would get rpc server unavail. and could not use the disk manager in admin tools/component services without getting the same error. I even cloned this drive and did an in place upgrade of XP with no change in symptoms. BTW I did set IE back to all default settings and have disabled Windows firewall. Zone Alarm is not installed, but had been previously. The funny thing is that the True Vector service still is trying to start and will not let me make any changes to the service. I have no idea what may have uninstalled or deleted on this machine.

I did a repair on my nic interface both automatically and from the command line(flush dns cache/registerdns etc.) I have scanned for virus/trojans/spyware and have eliminated several problems. I have taken off SP2 and reloaded SP2, I have reloaded IE from the command line.
I have tried various IE and tcp/ip fixes given through links on this site. I have scanned my system files with scf/scannow (no problems). I am probably leaving out a lot of proceedures tried due to typing too may words in my post. I can reload XP on another drive and everything connects to the internet properly, so I know that I have an O/S problem and/or registry problem most likely. I even used a registry/system problem program that found over 200 problems. Thought my problem would be resolved....No Luck.

Some of my issues have had to have been resolved because I can now use admin tools/component services/disk manager and can do the netshell repair of tcp/ip from the command line with no errors such as "The RPC servir is unavailable".

Nothing tried to date will allow me to connect to the internet through IE. Any suggestion will be appreciated as I am at this time ready to pick up my trusty axe handle and put this machine out of it's misery.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 09:45:17 AM by scmartin »

SKy

Re: Can't connect to internet through IE^
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 11:58:13 AM »
Hi scmartin,

I dont think I know as much abt netwrok as u, but i encounter a smiliar problem once.

I use IE and can only view my internet service provider's website. In the end, I discover that it's bcoz I did not set my proxy settings correctly.

Tools > Internet Options > Connections

Hope it works for you.

Cheers

Sean

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 06:50:24 PM »
You said you reloaded XP on another drive and everything worked. Boot from the XP cd on the drive you want to work and use that to repair the O/S or you could just reformat.

scmartin

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 09:36:45 PM »
I have already done an in place upgrade/repair and the symptoms did not change. I loaded XP on another drive just to prove the point that the O/S and or registry was the real culprit. Thanks for the suggestion. Everything I have done should have corrected the symptoms.