Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: *censored* Keyboard!  (Read 4376 times)

Mad_Harri

*censored* Keyboard!
« on: March 10, 2005, 04:28:16 PM »
When I first got this PC, the keyboard was messed up. I believe it's quite frequent to have the '@' key sending up the ' " ' key etc...basically, some keys are just rearranged. I overcame this once but that was a while ago, does anyone know how I can get over it again?

I'm awaiting something embarassingly simple. :-/

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: *censored* Keyboard!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2005, 04:48:32 PM »
Just download the drivers for it... What brand of keyboard is that? Also, which operating system are you using?

[glb]Flame[/glb]

Mad_Harri

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2005, 05:35:09 PM »
Windows XP.

It's a 'Dell Enhanced Quietkey PS2'. I've not been able to get any drivers for it off either the system disc or the Dell website.

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 05:37:57 PM »
Mad:

Could be a prank where someone has remapped your keyboard.  >:(

Or maybe the keyboard controller is bad.

I'd just buy another keyboard if i were you.  Some computer stores will sells used ones for about 5-10 bucks.

Regards,
Doc
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 05:39:21 PM by pcdoc4christ »

reign

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2005, 12:43:17 AM »
hi! you may try to go to safe mode first and try to check if same problem persist, if not then it could be problem with windows, if yes it is a keyboard problem. you can also try to borrow another keyboard and see if it will still display a wrong character.  ;)

Mad_Harri

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 11:48:23 AM »
Hmmm, I know it's not a prank. No one who knows how to do a thing like that has access to my computer and I have barely left it since I formatted the hard disk. I had this problem before and I fixed it without any hardware changes so surely there's a way to fix it, hasn't anyone experienced the same thing with a Dell or any other system?

PCDoc: Is there any way I can remap it myself, back to the way it should be?

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2005, 12:23:41 PM »
Mad Harri:

Sorry, i'm not a programmer.  

I know Windows offers a way to remap keyboards for different languages (e.g. Japanese, Chinese, German).  This is a longshot, but try checking that your keyboard input language is set to English:

1. Click Start
2. Select Settings & then choose Control Panel
3. In the Control Panel, double-click the Keyboard applet
4. In Keyboard Properties, choose the Input Locales tab
5. Under "Installed input locales" make sure "EN-English (United States)" is listed.  If it is not, click Add & select it.  
6. After you have added English to the list, click on the other language (which may be french or German or Japanese), then click the button that says Remove
7. Click Apply & OK; if you are prompted to restart, click YES.

Hope that does it,
Doc

Mad_Harri

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2005, 02:12:27 PM »
 :) It worked. I've got XP so I had to go into the separate Languages applet in the Control Panel because the Keyboard applet doesn't have a languages tab but, yep, it worked. I'm from the UK so I changed it from 'US English' to 'UK English'. It also got my clock back into 24 hour format instead of the AM and PM it used to be set to.

Thanks a lot, I'll be giving all my friends the link to this place if they experience any problems. ;D

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2005, 03:56:29 PM »
Harri, you made my day!!!

:D

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
Well thanks for stopping by and spreading the word! Glad to help!  ;D  Nice job everyone!

[glb]Flame[/glb]